Can anybody help me interpret this 0X0000008E blue screen of death?

conceptualclarity

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
It said :

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop errors screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Start Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005,0XBF8137B9, 0XAF342878, 0X00000000)

***win32k.sys--Address BF8137B9 base at BF800000, Datestamp 52f43e77

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

[Boldfacing added by me.]

That was it. It happened when I went to Adobe's site to update Shockwave Player. I started the update, but I got impatient because I couldn't see that anything was happening. So then I initiated a Shockwave update from UpdateStar. And that's when this blue screen came up.

I hit the power button. I always go to Safe Mode after shutting down with the power button. I did that this time, and everything went fine. So I restarted into normal mode. On that session, Firefox seemed to load tabs very slowly, so I did another restart. Everything seems to be going OK since then. But I am concerned about addressing what caused this blue screen. Perhaps the line I boldfaced is the most important one. Can anybody interpret it for me?

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
2.00GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
Storage
74GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA) 28 °C
3GB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
119GB PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Anti-Virus
Advanced System Care Ultimate

So did you do any of what it said -

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Start Options, and then select Safe Mode.

?

AngelikaEssEff

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014

when I go to Advanced Start Options, there are no options like caching or shadowing. any help?

AngelikaEssEff

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
none of the above applies to my original post. I am still on XP -- I know, I know. the blue screen says to stop driver 0X0000008E. many posts suggested to go to safe mode, advanced options and delete cache and shadowing, but cache and shadowing are on among the list. Any ideas?