[SOLVED] Can anyone boot Ryzen 3600X with MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max at 3200MHz RAM every time?

Dec 5, 2019
Hi, y'all!

I recently built myself this beast:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700 XT 8 GB
MBD: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 650W Gold (SSR-650FX)

At first, everything seemed alright, got Windows 10 installed on the SSD, made it a boot priority in the BIOS, the RAM was running in 3200MHz in XMP profile, everything was fantastic.

I have now been using it for the past 3-4 days and unfortunately, 1 out of 5 times it will just refuse to boot. All of the case/component lights will come on, the fans will start spinning, but the monitor's screen will not turn on. The small CPU light on the motherboard appears to light up in steady red only for the times this does happen. When I do finally manage to get it to boot after 2-3 hard resets, the red light is not glowing at all. The same problem happens if I decide to restart it - I just hope to get a lucky boot lol.

I have been researching the Internet for the past few hours and at first, I was able to find a lot of people being in a similar situation, managing to fix the issue by disabling Windows Fast Startup which is the first thing I did, but it did not work.

I then went on, hoping to find another solution and came across a lot of people having the exact same issue as me, using 3200MHz RAM, resolving it by lowering their RAM frequencies to 2133 or 2933, complaining about these MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max motherboards not booting every time when going above 2933 RAM on 3600X, even though the advertised frequencies of the motherboard are way beyond that. I am not a tech God by any means, but I do have a very good knowledge of PCs, and if I had to put my money on the table for this matter, this is the case with me as well.

A temporary solution that comes up to my mind is to put the PC in sleep mode when not using it.

The PC was not assembled by me, but by the tech guys which I bought it from. A local trusted tech shop with a good name. For the times I did manage to get it running, the machine was fast as lightning, played heavy games on max settings for hours at the expected framerates, which led me to believe that there is no chance that these guys messed something up and did not assemble it properly.
---
My question is simple - does anybody manage to boot Ryzen 3600X every time with this motherboard running at 3200MHz RAM, so that I know if I should consider replacing it with another one, since everything is brand new and is in warranty, or if I should look for a different B450/potentially X470 motherboard.

Hope I did not bore you with my long post, just wanted to provide as much information as possible.

Thank you for your time reading and possibly sharing your thoughts on this.

- sphyNx

Last edited:
Solution
I did a build using the R7 3700x with Trident Z 3200MHz rams, both on an MSI Mortar Max motherboard running on BIOS version 2.40. If anything I'd look at the BIOS first and then the quality of the board as the next issue. The Gaming moniker has never inspired confidence in me.

As for the rams, try manually inputting the timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS and see if the issue persists. You might also want to take note, that if the rams aren't found on the compatibility list, it doesn't mean it won't work.

The compatibility list is to show users that ram kits were tested prior to the boards launch. If they had to validate all the ram kits in the world, then the board wouldn't see the light of day(outside it's factory).

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
What BIOS Version are you using ?
A BIOS update may fix this issue.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX#support-cpu

Also what EXACT RAM kit do you have ?
I have seen a LOT of posts here about Corsair RAM not running at their rated speeds on AMD systems.
So if iyour EXACT kit model is Not listed on the MSI Compatibility for Matisse CPUs, it may only work at lower speeds (like 2800, 2866 or 2933).

Click on Compatibility on the left then the Memory by 3X00 to see the compatible RAM kits here:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX#support-mem-19

Dec 5, 2019
Hello DMAN999,

Thank you for responding to this.

This is the model of my Corsair:

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

I was indeed unable to find it in the "Compatibility" list of the mobo, but why does it run sometimes then? I was able to access the BIOS a few times and the ram was always at 3200 with XMP enabled. Do you think that it is dangerous for the PC to be used considering all of this?

Thank you!

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
What BIOS version are you running ?
If it is not the newest version, updating to the newest version might allow that RAM kit to run at 3200.

If you are using the latest BIOS, I would go into the BIOS and set the XMP profile BUT then change the DRAM (Memory) Frequency to 2933 and see if that boots properly.
If it boots at 2933, then I would run MemTest86 v8.3 Free Edition to be sure it doesn't give any errors.
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If it go through at least 4 passes without any errors then I would just leave it at 2933 and be happy.
If it fails at 2933 then reboot and set the Frequency to 2866 and run Memtest86 again.

Dec 5, 2019
I truly appreciate the suggestions! I already sent the PC to the tech dudes who built so that they can have a look and check if it's not a different issue, however, as soon as I get it, I'll follow through your recommendations and let you know of the outcome. Thanks!

Reactions: DMAN999

Lutfij

Titan
I did a build using the R7 3700x with Trident Z 3200MHz rams, both on an MSI Mortar Max motherboard running on BIOS version 2.40. If anything I'd look at the BIOS first and then the quality of the board as the next issue. The Gaming moniker has never inspired confidence in me.

As for the rams, try manually inputting the timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS and see if the issue persists. You might also want to take note, that if the rams aren't found on the compatibility list, it doesn't mean it won't work.

The compatibility list is to show users that ram kits were tested prior to the boards launch. If they had to validate all the ram kits in the world, then the board wouldn't see the light of day(outside it's factory).

Reactions: sphyNx69
Solution
Dec 5, 2019
UPDATE: The MSI mobo was running the latest BIOS version when all of this happened, therefore, I replaced it with Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro and currently running BIOS F41. The problem is no longer present!

Reactions: DMAN999