Question Can anyone explain to me why my gpu percentages go down so much causing the game to stutter?

Dec 17, 2018
I've been having this problem for ages, and I've tried almost everything. I don't remember everything I've done because it's been a while. All these parts are new because the stuttering has been happening before so i thought an upgrade would work, but it didn"t. So i've reinstalled windows about 3 times, disabled game bar, disabled full screen optimization, disabled windows virus thingy, changed voltages for ram, cpu, and changed the fan speeds for gpu, as well as overclocking and even downclocking the gpu, there's a lot more but I don"t remember. If you bring them up when replying i will probably remember.
My rig:
Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte Gtx 1060 6b
1 tb 7200 rpm hard drive
500 watt psu 80+ bronze
B450m MSI bazooka
16gb ddr4 2666mhz

Here's a video example of what it looks like. This stutter happens in all the games I play that require a gpu (fortnite, Pubg, Rainbow six siege, rust, counter strike go) and games that dont stutter are (enter the gungeon, and hotline miami.)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOPMhX83zu8

Dec 17, 2018
What is the make and model of your PSU? What are your CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load? What, if anything, are you overclocking (CPU, GPU, memory)?
the brand is EVGA, My cpu temps are at 35c and 45c at idle, and somewhere from 45-60c under load, I set my fans to 50 on afterburner for gpu because i thought it was a temp problem or fan problem, but it's not, the gpu's temps are atm 33c-45c idle (without the fans on 50 they don't spin at all) and under load its from 60c-70, none of my parts are being overclocked in the video i recorded, but i have tried overclocking before to see if it would help and it didn't. Also i'd like to add, all my drivers are up to date. I even updated my bios multiple times to see if that was the issue.

Dec 17, 2018
List the exact MODEL number of this unit. Have you also tried installing all the games on an SSD as well ?
Where would I find that? and no sadly I can't afford an ssd at the moment. I do know that games should be able to run perfectly because i have countless friends that have games running on hardrive and they get much smoother fps.

The only stutter i saw is right before landing, which is usual for many setups to drop frames, most of the times this is a cpu/ram bottlenecking the gpu. Other than that your setup was playing flawlessly for the rest part of it. You improve this by overclocking cpu or ram frequency. Ryzen performance is tied to ram speed. You should have bought a kit of 3200 mhz at least on the first place.

Dec 17, 2018
The only stutter i saw is right before landing, which is usual for many setups to drop frames, most of the times this is a cpu/ram bottlenecking the gpu. Other than that your setup was playing flawlessly for the rest part of it. You improve this by overclocking cpu or ram frequency. Ryzen performance is tied to ram speed. You should have bought a kit of 3200 mhz at least on the first place.
should i try overclocking both? Also, this was a pretty good recording, it gets much worse than this most of the times. I have tried overclocking my ram and cpu before but not at the same time, if i were to, what would you recommend? Also, something I forgot to mention, sometimes my audio when watching videos will just make wierd stutter/hitch sound, very weird.

Last edited:
should i try overclocking both? Also, this was a pretty good recording, it gets much worse than this most of the times.
First of all make sure your ram is running at 2666 mhz already and not at base clock. Always start overclocking one at a time, check for stability, then proceed to other parts. You may go intro trouble because your motherboard is not meant for overclocking while overclocking ram is tricky and a silicon lottery thing. As long as you know what you are doing then try to up your ram by little increments, then try overclocking your cpu. good luck

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Where would I find that? and no sadly I can't afford an ssd at the moment. I do know that games should be able to run perfectly because i have countless friends that have games running on hard drive and they get much smoother fps.
Get the info from the label on the side of the PSU itself.

What is the make/model of your HDD? Did you install the AMD chipset drivers (provided directly from AMD)?

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
i did, and it was 3840x2160

ok that is already 4k, you might want to go down a bit to 1440p. Also, you might want to observe if your perceived stutter coincides with a fluctuation on the GPU usage even at 1440p or 4k.

As a last resort, if the graph on your GPU load still fluctuates, personally, i would disable any power-saving options on the GPU driver settings as well as the turn the fan to max and observe.

Dec 17, 2018
ok that is already 4k, you might want to go down a bit to 1440p. Also, you might want to observe if your perceived stutter coincides with a fluctuation on the GPU usage even at 1440p or 4k.

As a last resort, if the graph on your GPU load still fluctuates, personally, i would disable any power-saving options on the GPU driver settings as well as the turn the fan to max and observe.
When testing with riva tuner the graph showed a lot of spikes, it was almost insane!