Question Can anyone explain why my packets are going to Luxemburg?

Nightmare999

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
I have Spectrum for my ISP. The connection is normally very quick. But when trying to play World of Tanks, every once in a while I get this weird routing.

Can anyone tell me what could cause this? This route in general seems VERY long going from California to Texas. Even without the detour 1/2 way around the world.

It normally lasts for several days, I have no clue why the routers don't find a better route more quickly.

Thanks

tbksEcM.jpg

Why do you think the traffic is going to luxemburg. You latency is still about 75ms. You would have to have some magic network that could exceed the speed of light and it travels somewhat less than the speed of light even in fiber.

The reverse lookup of IP mean almost nothing it is depenant on someone manually updating dns info when ip are moved around in a company. At best you can get the company that own the IP and can guess where it is located based on the other ip in the path.

75 ms is a bit high from california to texas but wargaming may not be hosting in a data center that has a ISP that has a direct path. You can guess the traffic is going via a path in Chicago if the names are correct.

The traffic going via luxemburg would be closer to 150ms....note these are round trip time if you try to actually calculate speed of light and distance stuff.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
I have Spectrum for my ISP. The connection is normally very quick. But when trying to play World of Tanks, every once in a while I get this weird routing.

Can anyone tell me what could cause this? This route in general seems VERY long going from California to Texas. Even without the detour 1/2 way around the world.

It normally lasts for several days, I have no clue why the routers don't find a better route more quickly.

Thanks

tbksEcM.jpg
do you have an ftth or a fttc?
Maybe this game have server there so you are connected there...

Nightmare999

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
No fiber, just 200 Mb Cable.

This is my speed test to some random test site in Dallas:

8Taepdw.jpg

Is there anything I can do on my end (other than using a VPN) to get them to fix the POS router?

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
No fiber, just 200 Mb Cable.

This is my speed test to some random test site in Dallas:

8Taepdw.jpg

Is there anything I can do on my end (other than using a VPN) to get them to fix the POS router?
ok, I think I got what you need to know, you are connected to wot3 that s the server in chicago, the others things are some services/players that the game have.
I don t actually know if wot is a p2p game with servers for the login and authentication but it seems like all the first pack of ip are players(so it look like a p2p) and the last is the chicago server that may only have to give you the log in and authentication with all ur saves
P.S.
looking better the image could be that wot3 now is washington and not anymore chicago, btw your ping is not high but we are near, is a pleasable gaming expirience but not actually a competitive one.
Have a nice day

You might be getting short internet failures.

I open a cmd window and leave a constant ping command run to the server IP...if the server does not respond you can use 8.8.8.8. That is going to be the next step anyway if you were to show outages to the server. 8.8.8.8 would show a generic issue rather than one related to the server and the game.

You will from time to time see packet loss and large ping spikes you want to check this when you detect a issue in the game to see if they happen at the same time. What you are kinda hoping for is a number of ping to be lost in a row, the ISP is most likely to be able to find and fix that error.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Ping / Latency isn't my problem. I keep getting kicked from the server. Sometimes I can't stay connected for even a minute.
they kick you for the ping? Is not normal, you don t have an high ping, you do but not that high to be kicked, in the colums of the photo, if that is the ping you have an avg of 22, is very good, the others have an higher ping...
For decrease ping you can do only 1 thing, get the ftth, will help a bit.
For me it cutted 20ms, but longer range can cut more.
Btw if is not explicit that the server kick you, probably is that you disconnect for missing connection, is a thing that on gta online ppl do for get a solo public session, you pause your client for 10 sec, then the server will kick you and you get a solo pubblic, on wot maybe it kick you and send in the lobby.
Now you can mark as solved the thread I think, the mistery is solved

According to ipbase.com the IP 208.115.136.42 is in Redwood City, California, which does not correlate with your ping at all. So either the IP subnet is routed over some other hops or the sub-lease it.
that IP is behind cloud, you wont be able to see real location
ip reports on multiple geolocations
IP Address: 208.115.136.42

Region: England

City: London

ISP: Equinix

Organization: Equinix, Inc.

Latitude: 51.5074

Longitude: -0.127758

Region: California

City: Redwood City

ISP: Not available

Organization: Equinix, Inc. (equinix.com)

Latitude: 37.53241

Longitude: -122.24879

Region: Illinois

City: Chicago

ISP: Windstream Communications LLC

Organization: Equinix, Inc. (equinix.com)

Latitude: 41.8500

Longitude: -87.6500
here example..soo you cant really tell where it is

for OP, your 3rd hop is concerning, thats from your ISP 19-680ms ping

Last edited: