Question Can anyone figure out what cpu this is?

That is the bottom of the CPU, you could in theory count the contact points and the contact type and get somewhere in the right socket, past that nope.

The other side of said CPU, if cleaned from paste, would tell the type in plain text format.
I would require the seller to declare CPU type while selling it and/or providing picture of the top with said type shown.
the bottom being nice, shiny and clean doesn't really tell anything more than that of CPU.

Edit: of course seller wants CPU type to be mystery but... that is a gamble in and of itself, I'd stay far from such sales. Especially since CPU type affects price a LOT, be it low, high or good pricing.
it being a mystery makes "price is fine" completely the choice of seller.

I would stay out of it then.
it could be old generation i3, or i9 and price difference on those is huge. so "not too low, not too high" pricing is a lie, you cannot estimate price based on complete unknown.

kind of "buy this car, made in year 2018, price is not too high or low"
you'd want to know what car, what mileage, but all those are secrets.

Reactions: Exploding PSU
based on CPU bottom, it is most likely old LGA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1156
at least pin layouts outer edges seem to match with it.
which makes it OLD last processors for that were made in 2011 but hey, used is used.. it could be i3 or i7 still or even Xeon.
which affects price but.. at that old? not by much people are selling i7-870's in sub 30 USD price. (it's about best out of that socket)

so... what was the mystery price?

Reactions: Exploding PSU

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I found the top part of the CPU.
Not exactly a good sign huh?

You can see on the image above that there's a (horribly pixelated) numbers at the bottom of the CPU which if I were to guess, might be 1402.

The closest match I could find is an Intel Pentium G840

I don't know, just a wild guess really.
Yea I'd stay away, if I were you.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022
Do you still have your i7-3770K from your previous threads? Because you're not going to find an upgrade on that CPU for $7.50 unless you're planning to assemble your build somewhere around the year 2030.
Oh yes I still have it. And thank you to everyone for helping me out, was not expecting much response.