Can anyone guess the cause of such behavior from my connection?

DudeInAGoodMood

Distinguished
May 25, 2013
About 2 months ago, a roommate and I changed our cable internet provider subscription and we got a newer router. The old one didn't have more than one LAN slot, so we had to invest in a router that did. The new one did, so after we got it, we sold the one we previously bought.

Now the problem is that the connection on my end would disappear for a couple of seconds which is quite annoying as I need a constant connection to the internet. Here are a couple of screenshots of what pinging google looks like when the problem occurs.

http://imgur.com/M290V2W,eMpps3p,66M91GM

Any ideas?

Run traceroute and then run continuous pings to the first couple hops in the trace. If you have problems in the first hop it your router that has some issue. If it is in the second then you need to call the ISP and have them check the connection between your house and their office. If it is past that point it gets very hard since that is inside the ISP network and possibly other ISP networks.

DudeInAGoodMood

Distinguished
May 25, 2013
Just did as you told me to and the first time the connection broke, pinging my provider did as well (3rd hop of tracert), then it broke again shortly after and this time it did for both router and provider. What does this mean?

If you ever lose data to the router in your house then there is a issue with the router. Since you talked lan slots I am assuming you are using a wired connection. Wireless this is a very common problem related to interference. If all your connections are wired I would be at a loss to figure out what the problem might be. You could try a firmware upgrade and see if there is some kind of bug. The only other possibility is your PC is the problem. If other machines do not experience loss then I would be suspect of the drivers or something else in the PC. If you have multiple machines that experience this then you are back to the router.

DudeInAGoodMood

Distinguished
May 25, 2013
I had a couple of guys from tech support over a few days back and they told me that router wasn't an issue and the roommate says he doesn't notice any problems with the connection, which would suggest that the problem is in my PC. But as I said, this wasn't the case with the previous router.

Anyway, if it is indeed problem with my PC, what can I do? I've got Windows 7 Enterprise running, so drivers shouldn't be an issue. Right?

TRENDING THREADS