Can anyone help a complete beginner?

Nov 23, 2018
I tried to install Windows 10 OS on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I got to the drive selection screen, and got this notice that my choosen drive is in MBR format. Windows 10 needs GPT format. I THOUGHT THAT FORMATTING THE DRIVE WOULD CHANGE THE FORMAT. It didn't, and now my laptop cannot enter windows. What should I do? (My laptop was partitioned into 3 drives, I only formatted the C drive. Most solutions will delete the WHOLE DISK, and I don't want that)
Thanks so much beforehand

Solution
ok 2 options i can think of.

1. reinstall windows 8 on the partition you formatted (if you have the installation media to hand, otherwise you can download and burn to dvd)
2. transplant the hard drive to your PC. See below.

good news : you can most likely retrieve the data by plugging it into your PC
bad news : you have to take the hard disk out of your laptop to plug it into your PC.

what is the model of your laptop? (so we can determine the type of hard disk in your laptop)

if its a 2.5" HDD/SSD then it'll be fairly easy. if its M.2 then that could be a problem.
Nov 23, 2018

That's why I said I'm a complete, total beginner. I haven't.

I planned to download Windows 8.1 Installation, run it, and choose repair windows. Will that work?

USAFRet

Titan

You apparently formatted the whole C partition.
There is no "Windows 8.1" left to repair.

What is on this other partition that you can't bear to lose?

Nov 23, 2018

Yes, I have a pc, but I'm not able to use it right now as I'm away

USAFRet

Titan

Well, then you're kinda screwed.

"I can't lose them" is always a possibility.

My sig pic to the right is relevant here.

You might be able to do a full reinstall of 8.1, carefully choosing only that partition you killed off as the target space.
Maybe.

Shady42

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok 2 options i can think of.

1. reinstall windows 8 on the partition you formatted (if you have the installation media to hand, otherwise you can download and burn to dvd)
2. transplant the hard drive to your PC. See below.

good news : you can most likely retrieve the data by plugging it into your PC
bad news : you have to take the hard disk out of your laptop to plug it into your PC.

what is the model of your laptop? (so we can determine the type of hard disk in your laptop)

if its a 2.5" HDD/SSD then it'll be fairly easy. if its M.2 then that could be a problem.

Solution
Nov 23, 2018
Yes, I think I will try installing Win 8/8.1 on the formatted partition.
And yes, I already considered the option to implant the disk into my pc. I will do it as the last resort.
My laptop is HP notebook (can't find the series and type. I just remembered it started with 14-something)
Thank you very much for the response and help guys, really appreciate it