Question Can anyone help me understand these random clock drops?

Aug 16, 2022
Hello guys,

I have a new system besides the GPU. I think my GPU is busted anyways but i tried with another GPU and was having the same problem so i'm kinda lost here.
This is what is happening on my GPU, resulting in random stutters.

NCjUhm.png

At first i thought it was the GPU, then i tried with a brand new 6700xt and the same happened.
Got a new PSU, just in case, and nothing changed.
Tried diferent RAMs and nothing changed.

My current specs:

Motherboard: B550 Gaming X V2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: 32Gb DDR4 3600Mhz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Gaming X
PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold GX 850W

Thank you for your time.

(edit: added PSU)

DavidM012

Distinguished
I ran a search and found a quote:

'I suggest that you go into the amd adrenalin software "app" and turning off all the amd radeon stuff that's supposed to make things better, Radeon anti-lag, chill, boost, image sharpening, enhanced sync'.

Aug 16, 2022
I ran a search and found a quote:

'I suggest that you go into the amd adrenalin software "app" and turning off all the amd radeon stuff that's supposed to make things better, Radeon anti-lag, chill, boost, image sharpening, enhanced sync'.
I did that when i had the 6700XT but with the Nvidia the same is happening. I'm currently using the Gtx 1080

DavidM012

Distinguished
Have you tried the card in another pci-e slot? Did some more research, might be mobo. The search of the amd found a quote and the search of 1080 found a similar thread of stutters and frame drops and they changed the mobo and said it fixed it.

Aug 16, 2022
Have you tried the card in another pci-e slot? Did some more research, might be mobo. The search of the amd found a quote and the search of 1080 found a similar thread of stutters and frame drops and they changed the mobo and said it fixed it.
I didn't tried that actually. I suspect it can be the mobo, since i tried with almost all diferent components :(
I can try that when back at home

Aug 16, 2022
Do i loose any performance/features using the second one?

DavidM012

Distinguished
I think the second slot is the same as the top slot. The manual says PCIEX2 is the lower slot and runs in Pci-e 3.0 2x mode. So that's only to check if the top slot is dodgy if the problem persists it would mean proceed to switch mobo.

Aug 16, 2022
I think the second slot is the same as the top slot. The manual says PCIEX2 is the lower slot and runs in Pci-e 3.0 2x mode. So that's only to check if the top slot is dodgy if the problem persists it would mean proceed to switch mobo.
Just tried on the second slot and the same happens. Even more unstable it seems

It would seem that the cpu drop is in sync with power amd ram.

What is your cpu cooler?
Run Hwmonitor and look at the max temperature after the drops happen.
If you see a max number in red, it indicates throttling.
I think the ryzen throttle temperature is perhaps 90c.
If a throttle event happens, the cpu will lower clocks until the situation reverses. That is a good thing. A severe heat issue will shut it down.

Aug 16, 2022
It would seem that the cpu drop is in sync with power amd ram.

What is your cpu cooler?
Run Hwmonitor and look at the max temperature after the drops happen.
If you see a max number in red, it indicates throttling.
I think the ryzen throttle temperature is perhaps 90c.
If a throttle event happens, the cpu will lower clocks until the situation reverses. That is a good thing. A severe heat issue will shut it down.
I have a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 as a CPU cooler. The temps are between 50º and 60º

Aug 16, 2022
good cooler. What is the MAX temperature as recorded by HWmonitor?
Yeah it is very good
I don't have it recorded with HWmonitor but i can test when i get home. But i have with RivaTunner and the max is 60º
The thing is that this happens on iddle or on high usage(the drops and stutters)

I was looking at the possibility of thermal throttling which often exhibits such a yo-yo effect. I now doubt that is the case.

It looks to me that something is kicking off on some periodic schedule.
Could this be a Nvidia game experience checking for driver and game updates? I leave that uninstalled.
There may be other apps doing the same.

See if task manager can capture what is going on at the times.
Motherboard supplied monitoring apps would be another candidate.

Aug 16, 2022
I was looking at the possibility of thermal throttling which often exhibits such a yo-yo effect. I now doubt that is the case.

It looks to me that something is kicking off on some periodic schedule.
Could this be a Nvidia game experience checking for driver and game updates? I leave that uninstalled.
There may be other apps doing the same.

See if task manager can capture what is going on at the times.
Motherboard supplied monitoring apps would be another candidate.
I could be some other app or service. This happened with a 6700XT so i don't think it is related to Nvidia experience.

Even on the power graph, it drops too so if were something that requires more processing it should rise i think.