AceX

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003
I formatted my computer and replaced my graphics card because i was getting severe fps drops in games like counterstrike and jedi academy, where it should be able to handle them smoothly. It cant be a windows problem as i formatted or a graphics card problem as i replaced it and have the same issues. Even when i change the graphical settings in games from high to lowest, the severety is the same of the fps drops. I had a geforce fx 5600 and now have a radeon 9600 pro. My computer is an intel 1.3ghz with 640mb ram using XP. This is my motherboard:

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/Boards/Motherboards/FSC/d1192/D1192.htm

Any ideas what can be done? This is quickly becoming a costly affair. Thank you very much in advance!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm.
Well its very hard to rule out some wierd driver conflict unless we get our hands on the machine, but looking at your processor i would hazard a guess that you are somewhat CPU limited.
THe 1.3Ghz P4 was very much a mongrel, on average less powerful than a p3 1Ghz.

THough obviously impossible to say for sure if thats the definitive answer.

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
And if its a Celeron, it would be even worse. BTW, is there a p4 Celeron @ 1.3 GHz? I don't think so, so he probably has a coppermine celeron if he has a celeron at all.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
In Jedi Academy, turn off the glow effect in the games control panel. Your fps will jump up nearly double, and you wont really be able to tell the difference in the games visuals. The glow effect slows down both ATi <b>and</b> Nvidia cards tremendously.

I help because you suck.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
did coppermine celerons go that high? i'm thinking its a tualitan... and if it is , then its definately at least as fast as a 1gig P3 and should be enough for Jedi Acedemy

did the author install the correct AGP drivers? if not, that would account for the crappy performance before and after the re-install i would think....

-------

<A HREF="http://www.teenirc.net/chat/tomshardware.html" target="_new"> come to THGC chat~ NOW. dont make me get up ffs @#@$</A>

barnettgs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
It could be from your motherboard. I doubt upgrading your CPU would improve your games. Some games have CPU speed dependant and some not. But if all of the games of different kinds aren't playing smoothly as they should be even with lowest settings, then it could probably be your motherboard which act as a bottleneck. The same has happened to my friend's computer.

Try finding out more about any bios updates or download via drivers.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by barnettgs on 09/21/03 06:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
No, at that time the 1.4 and 1.5Ghz P4's were the flagship processors *snigger*
In the celleron line u had the Tulatin core based ones at 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 Ghz.
The first P4 cored cellery was the 1.7Ghz, based on the socket 478 willy. A rather hot and non overclockable design.

I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
Regards,

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He has a P4 1.3

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My test showed a 1.3GHz Celeron was NOT as fast as a PIII 1000EB in games, and that's probably due to bus speed affects on memory bandwidth.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
How can we be sure he has a P4 1.3 and not a Tully 1.3 if We don't even know what motherboard or chipset this dude has?

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
WE DO KNOW.
He provided a link to the mobo he has.
I looked and its an early P4 Socket 423 mobo, suitable for PC600 or PC800 RDRAM.

Not fantastic, but least it isnt an sdram p4 system.

I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
Regards,

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
How can we be sure he has a P4 1.3 and not a Tully 1.3 if We don't even know what motherboard or chipset this dude has?
Knock! Knock! Is anyone there? See the URL he left for his motherboard?

He has a Fujitsu Siemens Socket 423 P4 motherboard.

Here's a clickable link.

<A HREF="http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/Boards/Motherboards/FSC/d1192/D1192.htm" target="_new">http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/Boards/Motherboards/FSC/d1192/D1192.htm</A>

Never was a Counter Strike player but aren't there big framerate hits with large numbers of particles or some aspect of explosions.

Don't recall the fix though.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 09/21/03 08:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Uh, not very observant today are we?