[SOLVED] can anyone help pep talk me into pc building after a build gone very wrong?

Aug 20, 2022
hey everyone, i know this is a bit of a weird thing to ask for help with, but i am not really sure where else to ask this lol. i understand that this is something that is mostly up to me to deal with but i just need a lil reassurance. (please bear with me)

for some context, i am not new to pcs - i've been a pc gamer for almost a decade at this point, i've built three for myself over that time, and a few for my friends as well. i consider myself pretty competent in terms of troubleshooting and the like.

however, my last build was a complete nightmare. i built it at the peak of the gpu apocalypse and a month after the release of zen 3 when prices were inflated like nuts, so it was really expensive (5k cad). i made some mistakes along the way (buying a 750w psu for a 6900xt & 5800xt..i had a sff case, getting 4 sticks of ram instead of two) and had a hitch while building it, but i got it up and running and it ran flawlessly for a couple months until 2022 came!

for over 3 months i had a literal avalanche of problems, non stop. one after the other. i would have like 3 days of no problems before something else came up, at the very most. first, dead ssd. then a bad windows reinstall. even more random crashes, except they happened every 5 minutes even while on my desktop. ANOTHER dead ssd. dpc latency spikes, causing stuttering and audio dropouts. my audio setup starting causing bsods and crashes. and finally a third dead ssd.

(i will just mention rq that i'm dealing w ocd, it's the reason i reacted to this so horribly. i promise i am not deranged) at that point, i decided enough is enough, the pc is haunted, it's gotta go. way too much stress. i parted out my gpu and sold it. the thought of coming home from work and dealing with that pc made me actually get sick at work a few times. it made me really anxious to even touch my pc, because i was just sitting there waiting for the next issue on the edge of my seat like a jumpscare in a movie lol. the entire ordeal made me terrified to try again with pcs, and it's still that way 6 months later.

i know that was a lot to read, but i just want to confirm - this wasn't a normal experience, right? did i just get really unlucky? i had two pcs previously that worked near flawlessly, then this lol. i really would like to build again in a couple months, but i am hesitent because of just how stressful my last build was. i am telling myself that the chance of having a normal pc is so much bigger than the chance of anything going wrong is, but hearing opinions from other people will do me much better. just need some moral support from the pc community lol

i know this is a pretty silly thing to ask for help for - thank you for reading

Solution
Your stress was self applied, and honestly no reason for it. I'm Aspbergers and OCD and built a full custom loop with 2x 240mm rads in a true SFF, parts in signiture. When I say that there are some components with millimeters worth of clearance, that's literally no joke. Every 90°, rotatable fitting I could find in any brand was 28-30mm tall, and I had 24mm of clearance. 3 months of shopping, talking to vendors to get exact measurements, hours spent on the phone and emails. Almost a years worth of planning, buying (right when Covid hit China), consequent waiting for customs etc and almost derailed over 4mm. That's stress. But I got it to work finally.

S*it happens. No point stressing over it, it is what it is. You work through it and...
Aug 20, 2022
What brand / model was the motherboard, ssds and psu?
gigabyte b550 vision d. i went through a ton of ssds - two samsung 970 pro, a wd550, and a crucial p5. i started out with a corsair sf750 and ended up with a coolermaster v850 sfx over the course of troubleshooting.

i am pretty over what actually may have caused all of this to happen in the first place, i don't really care about that pc too much anymore. i'm just stressed looking ahead to my next one, scared that i'll end up in a similar situation ya know?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your stress was self applied, and honestly no reason for it. I'm Aspbergers and OCD and built a full custom loop with 2x 240mm rads in a true SFF, parts in signiture. When I say that there are some components with millimeters worth of clearance, that's literally no joke. Every 90°, rotatable fitting I could find in any brand was 28-30mm tall, and I had 24mm of clearance. 3 months of shopping, talking to vendors to get exact measurements, hours spent on the phone and emails. Almost a years worth of planning, buying (right when Covid hit China), consequent waiting for customs etc and almost derailed over 4mm. That's stress. But I got it to work finally.

S*it happens. No point stressing over it, it is what it is. You work through it and when it's over you flash the bird at the pc, cuz you won. It didn't beat you, get the better of you. Might have been a challenge, but it's not gonna whoop you.

So don't let the horse throw you, if it does, you get back on, and on, and on until it learns who the boss is.

Reactions: edenn.
Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I've been pretty lucky building pcs. i7 920, 2600k, 11700k, and two 11400 systems spanning over several years. Not much go wrong really hardware wise except faulty ram on 920 system all those years ago. Was Corsair ram, have moved to using Gskill in all builds since. All have had Asus boards, Samsung ssds and Corsair Hx, Ax, Rmx psus. All of which are still in use.

Only slightly biased lol.

Im sure everyone has had to deal with a lemon or two at some point. Get back on the saddle asap i reckon.

Aug 20, 2022

S*it happens. No point stressing over it, it is what it is. You work through it and when it's over you flash the bird at the pc, cuz you won. It didn't beat you, get the better of you. Might have been a challenge, but it's not gonna whoop you.

So don't let the horse throw you, if it does, you get back on, and on, and on until it learns who the boss is.
yeah unfortunately this experience has made me realise that i have an issue with catastrophizing and stress. i am able to tell myself and understand that this is not something that i should be stressing over to this extent, but as soon as i think about it too much, any reasoning goes out the window and i start freaking out. i think it's fair to say that people are allowed to be annoyed and a bit stressed over their hobbies sometimes, but what i did was definitely over the top and i acknowledge that. i envy the way you think, i gotta teach myself how to think like that lol. maybe it's time to take up yoga or something? :p

thank you for replying, seriously. i understand that it's up to me to deal with this but sometimes a nudge in the right direction helps. the best part of this is that when i finally do start building again, there's like a 90% chance that everything will work fine and i won't even have to think about stressing over it.

i really appreciate you commenting, thank you so much

Aug 20, 2022
I've been pretty lucky building pcs. i7 920, 2600k, 11700k, and two 11400 systems spanning over several years. Not much go wrong really hardware wise except faulty ram on 920 system all those years ago. Was Corsair ram, have moved to using Gskill in all builds since. All have had Asus boards, Samsung ssds and Corsair Hx, Ax, Rmx psus. All of which are still in use.

Only slightly biased lol.

Im sure everyone has had to deal with a lemon or two at some point. Get back on the saddle asap i reckon.
ah the wonders of corsair and their mixed & matched ram dies lol. glad that everything ended up working as expected - that's what i came here to hear hahahah. thanks a bunch for replying

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
i am able to tell myself and understand that this is not something that i should be stressing over to this extent, but as soon as i think about it too much, any reasoning goes out the window and i start freaking out. i
That's easy to fix. I had to learn the hard way as to how. Stop thinking big, whole picture. It gets overwhelming. Start with something small instead. Devote everything to fixing that one small thing. Ignore anything else, don't chase the squirrels. When that small thing is done, smile and tell yourself 'Hah, beat ya. Next?' and tackle the next small thing. Do Not make a list, avoid that, it's proof of size. Just pick something small, and I mean Small. A screw not quite right, a wire out of place, a fan not plugged in....

That's how you Use OCD to accomplish goals, instead of allowing the OCD to use You. It's called Compartmentalizing. Seperating a large, overwhelming project into multiple, easy to handle small projects. Just stick with the one until it's done, or can go no farther until another compartment is finished.

Last edited:
Reactions: edenn.
Aug 20, 2022
That's easy to fix. I had to learn the hard way as to how. Stop thinking big, whole picture. It gets overwhelming. Start with something small instead. Devote everything to fixing that one small thing. Ignore anything else, don't chase the squirrels. When that small thing is done, smile and tell yourself 'Hah, beat ya. Next?' and tackle the next small thing. Do Not make a list, avoid that, it's proof of size. Just pick something small, and I mean Small. A screw not quite right, a wire out of place, a fan not plugged in....

That's how you Use OCD to accomplish goals, instead of allowing the OCD to use You. It's called Compartmentalizing. Seperating a large, overwhelming project into multiple, easy to handle small projects. Just stick with the one until it's done, or can go no farther until another compartment is finished.
you're right, i tend to do that subconsiously to help break up my tasks when they seem long and blring, i just gotta learn how to apply that to things that stress me out.

i guess at the end of the day, it is a pc - if something isn't working right and i'm having trouble pinpointing it, there's only so many parts to rma until i eventually hit the nail on the head right?

also again i really want to say thank you for this lol, i posted something similar to this on reddit a few months ago and got absolutely clowned on which really sucked. it feels really good to have someone understand where i am coming from. thank you