[SOLVED] Can anyone help with this issue?

Dec 24, 2019
I built a pc about a year ago now and have had no issues with this until recently. Every time I start up my computer now, instead of booting into windows it takes me to a black screen and it tells me to select a drive or install the flash drive containing windows 10. Windows is installed to my SSD but when I go into BIOS settings and select my SSD as the drive to boot up windows, it doesn’t do anything. Instead, every time I boot up I have to go into BIOS settings and select the windows boot manager in order to start up into windows. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Solution
Instead, every time I boot up I have to go into BIOS settings and select the windows boot manager in order to start up into windows.

This is what you should be using to boot a GPT drive, which since PC boots, is what you have. So is it set as 1st in boot order? Or are you saying it won't save the settings as that could mean you need to replace CMOS battery.

Setting ssd as 1st in line won't boot PC if its a EUFI bios that uses WIndows Boot Manager to boot GPT drives.

Having ssd as 1st is how all legacy systems work. Its not necessarily how UEFI systems work

There are two forms of bios, Legacy & UEFI (although that isn't technically true, most BIOS now are UEFI but can emulate Legacy).

Legacy wasn't always called...

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Firstly go to BIOS and reset everything to defaults or optimized defaults. Then for boot order choose SSD but for hard disk section disable it and then give her a shot. Also do you have a old copy of Windows on a hard disk?

Dec 24, 2019
Firstly go to BIOS and reset everything to defaults or optimized defaults. Then for boot order choose SSD but for hard disk section disable it and then give her a shot. Also do you have a old copy of Windows on a hard disk?
Yes, I do have an old copy of Windows. Also, will resetting BIOS to default affect any under/overclocking that I’ve done to my cpu?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yes, I do have an old copy of Windows. Also, will resetting BIOS to default affect any under/overclocking that I’ve done to my cpu?
Yes it will default back to stock settings. Also I had a feeling you had a old copy of Windows on a hard disk. Try disconnecting that hard drive and I bet it will boot right into WIndows. So you know what the problem is. There is ways to fix it but let us take one step at a time.

wong93

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

yes, everything will be back to default.
However, instead of doing that, why not you just set Windows Boot Manager as boot priority #1?

It should not keep asking anymore in future.

I have few different installations of Windows 10 on different PCs, there are some which only allow to boot under "Windows Boot Manager" instead of the drive itself.

Dec 24, 2019
yes, everything will be back to default.
However, instead of doing that, why not you just set Windows Boot Manager as boot priority #1?

It should not keep asking anymore in future.

I have few different installations of Windows 10 on different PCs, there are some which only allow to boot under "Windows Boot Manager" instead of the drive itself.
Ive tried that but every time I turn my pc off and then turn it back on again it brings me to the same screen even though I saved the settings in BIOS.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Instead, every time I boot up I have to go into BIOS settings and select the windows boot manager in order to start up into windows.

This is what you should be using to boot a GPT drive, which since PC boots, is what you have. So is it set as 1st in boot order? Or are you saying it won't save the settings as that could mean you need to replace CMOS battery.

Setting ssd as 1st in line won't boot PC if its a EUFI bios that uses WIndows Boot Manager to boot GPT drives.

Having ssd as 1st is how all legacy systems work. Its not necessarily how UEFI systems work

There are two forms of bios, Legacy & UEFI (although that isn't technically true, most BIOS now are UEFI but can emulate Legacy).

Legacy wasn't always called legacy, it was just the BIOS. It was fine and did job good enough but it had limitations - it didn't know what a mouse did, it could only use so much space and it couldn't really be expanded to add new features.

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) was created to replace and expand on legacy bios and allow it to fully service the needs of users. It knows what a mouse is, it even uses a GUI

One of the big ways was storage.
Legacy supported Master Boot Record drives (MBR) which can only have a max of 4 partitions (you could get more with tricks) , boot partition has to be 1st partition on the drive & max size of disks are 2.2 terabytes.

UEFI supports GUID (Globally Unique ID) Partition Table drives (GPT) (essentially every GPT drive on earth has its own unique number to ID it) . These drives can support up to 256 partitions on 1 drive, the boot partition can be anywhere, need not even in be in PC' and Max drive size is 18.8 million terabytes.

So basically, a legacy system needs the boot drive to be first but a UEFI system doesn't care, as long as its recorded in the windows boot manager, it can find it.

(Note: this is missing heaps of data but was simplified)

Last edited:
Solution