[SOLVED] Can anyone identify this kind of case?

May 31, 2020
Hi,

I was looking through some old photos from the 2000s, and I found a picture of my dad's PC that he used to use for work. I wanted to try and find the case and use it for a new sleeper build but have been struggling to identify the tower:

DYWMHPu.jpg

While I probably won't find this very case given it's a generic case bought from a PC shop (not any OEM brand), I found very similar looking cases on the net with the same black and silver power button / HDD indicator:

AKYFzqr.jpg

luCuYMt.png

t3h8VRF.jpg

Does anyone know exactly what they are? My leads suggest it might be a Compaq. but I've looked all over and can't pin a name to it. If it helps, I know my dad's PC more than likely ran a Pentium 4 CPU. Any help would be much appreciated!

Solution
Air flow won't be a huge issue since I have a watercooled build. I was also planning to use the 5.25 bays to add a fan or two, there are four after all!
Air flow is critical, especially with a watercooled system.
You absolutely need a good flow of air from front and out the back, to keep all the components on the motherboard cool. VRM, RAM, etc. A liquid cooler starves that area of airflow.

USAFRet

Titan
Do you need that exact one, or one that sort of looks retro for a sleeper system?

Be advised...old cases like that may not be ATX compatible. Especially HP/Compaq/Dell from that era.
Expect major mods inside to get everything to attach properly. And expect crappy air flow.

One solution....find an old case that you like, and just merge the front panel onto a new case.

Reactions: Gopu21
May 31, 2020
Do you need that exact one, or one that sort of looks retro for a sleeper system?

Be advised...old cases like that may not be ATX compatible. Especially HP/Compaq/Dell from that era.
Expect major mods inside to get everything to attach properly. And expect crappy air flow.

One solution....find an old case that you like, and just merge the front panel onto a new case.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't hard-modded before, but I'm willing to start learning how for the sake of this project ^^

Obviously the closer to that case the better. I've looked at lots of retro cases, there's definitely a few I would consider but the key thing is that silver power button and black housing for the power / HDD lights. "Sort of looks retro" is perfect in this instance - the plastic trim around the front gives it that mid-00's aesthetic as well.

Air flow won't be a huge issue since I have a watercooled build. I was also planning to use the 5.25 bays to add a fan or two, there are four after all!

USAFRet

Titan
Air flow is critical, especially with a watercooled system.
You absolutely need a good flow of air from front and out the back, to keep all the components on the motherboard cool. VRM, RAM, etc. A liquid cooler starves that area of airflow.

Reactions: Gopu21
Solution