can anyone please help with lock-up problem?

G

Hello.

I recently put together (yet another) PC and I'm experiencing some problems. I was hoping someone could help me out!

The system consists of: Thunderbird 900, 512 MB Micron PC133 SDRAM, Asus A7V mobo, IBM 45GB 75GXP HD, Sound Blaster Live 1024, 3Com Etherfast III NIC and USR 2976 Modem, golden orb fan, and finally, an AMD approved case with 300 W. power supply.

Here is my problem... Every time I use the computer, I suffer from random lock ups. It could be 30 seconds the computer has run, it could be 8 hrs (if I leave the computer sitting, it does not lock up... only when in use). These locks have occurred in Win98 and Win2K Pro.

Most often, it locks up around 10-15 minutes into a web surfing session. When it locks up, I often still have control of the mouse, but cannot click on anything. Sometimes the mouse is locked also. I have locked up before and had Winamp playing and it continued to play although the system was apparently locked.

I have replaced the RAM with Mushkin ram from my other computer and it continues to lock, although it seems not quite as often(I think). I have purchased two different fans and tried them both to see if it was overheating the CPU, but still locks.

Is it my mobo? Is it my CPU?

If anyone can help me I would die a grateful man!

Thank you

Chris McBride

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Or how about those bios settings? Are they set at default? If not start there.

<b><A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com/" target="_new">How fast is your PC</A></b>

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
um, just as an aside, your not supposed to use a gorb on a tb. Only the chrome orb (they still suck too though)

Have you tried updating IE ? I had a problem like that for awhile on one comp of mine and as soon as I did that it cleared it up.

It was only during surfing though.....

I wish I had a signature.

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey jojo i had this same problem too. but these few days it happened very rarely. i think it is the wheel mouse(generic) because it always locked-up when i'm scrolling.
i think i'll try upgrading my ie

I'm not dumb. Neither am I stupid. I'm just not that smart