Question Can anyone point me to a thick bulky gaming laptop with a good cooling system

Apr 28, 2015
I have been looking for a gaming laptop for months now. The most recommended products are the Acer Predator Helios 300, Asus Zephyrus, Gigabyte Aero 15, the list goes on. The thing that's driving me mad is how subjective it all seems to be. Every brand has people saying its' the worst or the best. They all have people complaining about overheating and throttle, and I've even seen some reviewers who report 90 C temperatures as if that's totally ideal - at which point i just stop looking entirely.

The one thing I noticed is that the Asus Zephyrus S (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7900rTHdCo&t=207s
) has a smaller keyboard to make room for more vents, and has a bevel that lifts the laptop to allow for more airflow. However, it's super expensive (becuase it's so slim) and also I don't want a slim laptop, because that would make heating up worse right?

In summation, I want a bulky, airflow-y, machine. My current laptop has been in use for about 10 years, and that's the norm in my family so I think these reviews of people buying brand new overheating laptops is just freaking me out.

1. What is your budget?

0 - 2000 CAD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Any size is fine, but I just don't want it to be too thin to where gaming and heat may be an issue.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Any resolution is fine by me

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

No

5. How much battery life do you need?

Battery life isn't an issue

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I'd like to be able to use this computer to play games from 2008 - 2015 primarily, but I also want to keep my options open going forward.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Other than gaming just light duty, some videos, downloading movies, nothing huge.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Anything about 256 GB is good

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I am located in Canada, the only place I know of to buy a computer in Toronto are Canadacomputers, and amazon.ca, though if anyone knows of any others I am willing to expand.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

As long as possible, I know people say a laptop needs replacing after a couple years, but the standard in my family is 8 - 10.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Not required

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I have zero opinions on this stuff, other than what I've read, and everything I have read contradicts itself so Nothing

13. What country do you live in?

Canada

Spec13

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Hi mate,

I'd take a look at the new ASUS TUF laptops. They're fairly impressive machines for the money if that is your kind of thing.

Cheers,

Trav

Apr 28, 2015
I am currently looking at the ASUS ROG series or the ACER Predator Helios 300. Alternatively, I've also thought about buying a computer and also getting a portable monitor, and wireless keyboard.