Discussion Can anyone receive/accept parts that would otherwise become e-waste?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Hi. I myself am a "tech fanatic". From custom designing PCs with the newest or even older parts that still have potential tech just generally interests me. That being said e-waste is common, a ton of it goes to landfill although a lot of those parts will often still be usable, will still safely work, etc...
Is there however some process that needs to be done to permit you receive things like old CPUs, GPUs, RAM, Storage, etc... that would otherwise become landfill?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
this doesn't make sense.
you can pickup or "receive" whatever junk you want.

are you having some issue with translation to english?
no... the point being that e-waste becomes e-waste since presumably people don't wan't it so based off that assumption there could be guidlines in place to prevent random people maybe picking up an unwanted 750ti or i7 2nd gen from a company with too many outdated components

there could be guidlines in place to prevent random people maybe picking up an unwanted 750ti or i7 2nd gen from a company
no matter who actually has an item, it is still the same item.

if you are questioning whether certain types of items are allowed in the trash,
or have to be dropped at a specific waste processing center,
or can be traded/sold...

there are no laws in the US that i'm aware of regulating what types of electronics can be bought or sold or just gifted.
but certain items(batteries, cell phones, etc) are supposed to be unloaded at "recycling" centers.
no... the point being that e-waste becomes e-waste
you still don't clarify what you are actually asking.

are you concerned about disposing of certain items,
collecting them,
or just making conversation..?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In many places there are private companies that accept for disposal electrical equipment of many types, and they operate under state or provincial regulations. SOME of these will re-sell stuff people have left with them, but most gets shipped off to other places that reclaim some parts. The one near me does NOT allow people to come in and just browse around to scavenge what they want. But they DO try to recover certain items - I bought some discarded 4' fluorescent fixtures from them last summer to convert to LED fixtures. Other than that you MAY find shops that sell used computer parts, but not many - hard to make a profit on stuff with low demand, so they may NOT want to pay you for anything.

Couple of years ago I made some 300 Euro selling my old parts which were mostly MBs and GPUs accumulated for years of replacing them fixing other people's PCs. Sold them to "Gold diggers" recycler that removed gold out of them. Didn't work with phones but at last phone upgrade for me and my brother we got 15% off new ones in exchange for these two well obsolete ones. Although working they had no resale value.
Phone and most other batteries are also recyclable for rare earth metals that are in short supply and expensive to process so there should be some companies doing just that. Just got to find them,

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Figure out what you're going to do with it, start a non profit and go for it. Plenty of very successful businesses take in old hardware/servers/workstations from governments and companies, wipe and destroy the hard drives and sell the parts.