Question Can anyone recommend a fingerprint attendance machine?

May 28, 2019
Our tech. want's a fingerprint attendance machine that could export an AGL_001.txt that looks like this photo.

sIZ5G5EgQMGN8zN-WRDq6g.png

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I did some googling and I believe that those parameters are from a fingerprint reader - is that correct?

Also found the following post via CNET:

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/can-anyone-recommend-a-biometric-device/

Also your post - correct?

What you/your tech will need to do is read the User Guides/Manuals for candidate fingerprint readers and take a close look at the download/export options.

The collected fingerprint data is likely to be downloadable in some way and and the end format may even be selectable.

Otherwise the data may need to go through some extra steps to organize the output into the desired format and order.

For example if the device supports .CSV download/export then the data could be easily pulled into a spreadsheet or database for further processing and manipulation. And then, in turn exported or output to the desired .txt file.

You can do so without altering the original data if it is protected in "Read only" and copied into the processing software which could be Access, Excel, Python, any similar application.

Reactions: Lav999
May 28, 2019
I did some googling and I believe that those parameters are from a fingerprint reader - is that correct?

Also found the following post via CNET:

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/can-anyone-recommend-a-biometric-device/

Also your post - correct?

What you/your tech will need to do is read the User Guides/Manuals for candidate fingerprint readers and take a close look at the download/export options.

The collected fingerprint data is likely to be downloadable in some way and and the end format may even be selectable.

Otherwise the data may need to go through some extra steps to organize the output into the desired format and order.

For example if the device supports .CSV download/export then the data could be easily pulled into a spreadsheet or database for further processing and manipulation. And then, in turn exported or output to the desired .txt file.

You can do so without altering the original data if it is protected in "Read only" and copied into the processing software which could be Access, Excel, Python, any similar application.
Good Day!
Yes it is Sir, and that same post like this was mine too.

We currently using Anviz EP300 Biometric Device that has that .TXT file as generated report downloaded to U-desk. We use to import in the HR Management System.

The problem is they want to upgrade the Biometric system to more later device than Anviz EP300 that has the same AGL_001.txt report. . I saw some same AGL_001.txt file on google but didn't mention(on post) the device used on that.

Ralston18

Titan
Finding another biometric device that provides or permits the desired format is very much a matter of research and perhaps specific discussion with the applicable manufacturer(s)

Their supporting software (if any) may provide some flexibility in the selection of the exported fields: column orders and sorting as well as the output format: .txt, .csv, etc..

Unfortunately things change for one reason or another. Usually as a matter of reducing costs at the end-user's expense (cynicism conceded).

The manufacturer may be willing to provide you with custom software for a price. However, that may not be necessary.

If the biometric device does not or cannot directly provide the required AGL_001.txt report format then you will need a DIY solution.

I.e., determine if the available device output formats and options can be manipulated via Python, Access, Excel, or some other means to create a file in the AGL_001.txt format.

Hopefully, as mentioned before, the new biometric device will offer some standard export options such as .txt, .cvs, .xls, or some fixed field format. Some format not proprietary or, if so, easily parsed, and "rearranged" to fit the output requirements.

Press the manufacturer's for trial devices and software if any.

What you want to discover or determine is whether or not you can export data from the biometric device, read that output data, and then readily manipulate the attendance data into the desired AGL_001.txt format. Hopefully with just a simple click of some application menu button.

Python likely to be a good candidate for doing such work. Wide range of string functions and related capabilities.

I have used Access and Excel in past times for very similar applications when even more flexibility was required or historical data needed to be preserved. E.g., in your situation, fingerprint files from different events.

First make export to import process work. By that I mean prove that the new fingerprint reader's data can be exported and reformatted into "AGL_001.txt" that in turn is readable/importable by the applicable software.

Second then make the process "pretty". By that I mean as simple and as automated as possible. End-user functional with some error proofing included.

For the most part text manipulations are very straightforward. You and your tech might even have fun with the project. Would not expect it to be too cumbersome at all especially if you have anyone on board who has some programming/coding experience.

Reactions: Lav999
May 28, 2019
Finding another biometric device that provides or permits the desired format is very much a matter of research and perhaps specific discussion with the applicable manufacturer(s)

Their supporting software (if any) may provide some flexibility in the selection of the exported fields: column orders and sorting as well as the output format: .txt, .csv, etc..

Unfortunately things change for one reason or another. Usually as a matter of reducing costs at the end-user's expense (cynicism conceded).

The manufacturer may be willing to provide you with custom software for a price. However, that may not be necessary.

If the biometric device does not or cannot directly provide the required AGL_001.txt report format then you will need a DIY solution.

I.e., determine if the available device output formats and options can be manipulated via Python, Access, Excel, or some other means to create a file in the AGL_001.txt format.

Hopefully, as mentioned before, the new biometric device will offer some standard export options such as .txt, .cvs, .xls, or some fixed field format. Some format not proprietary or, if so, easily parsed, and "rearranged" to fit the output requirements.

Press the manufacturer's for trial devices and software if any.

What you want to discover or determine is whether or not you can export data from the biometric device, read that output data, and then readily manipulate the attendance data into the desired AGL_001.txt format. Hopefully with just a simple click of some application menu button.

Python likely to be a good candidate for doing such work. Wide range of string functions and related capabilities.

I have used Access and Excel in past times for very similar applications when even more flexibility was required or historical data needed to be preserved. E.g., in your situation, fingerprint files from different events.

First make export to import process work. By that I mean prove that the new fingerprint reader's data can be exported and reformatted into "AGL_001.txt" that in turn is readable/importable by the applicable software.

Second then make the process "pretty". By that I mean as simple and as automated as possible. End-user functional with some error proofing included.

For the most part text manipulations are very straightforward. You and your tech might even have fun with the project. Would not expect it to be too cumbersome at all especially if you have anyone on board who has some programming/coding experience.
Okay Sir. Thank You!