Question Can anyone recommend a good base building game?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I am looking for something to tide me over until Elden Ring comes out in February. Super excited about this one. I am trying to find a game that will let me dick around with base building to kill some time. I have played 7 days to die, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Valheim and Subnautica. I love the building aspect of these games and sometimes spend more time building and decorating than playing the main story.

I just purchased The Forest and was disappointed to find out that it doesn't allow you to save whenever you want. I hate games that do this. If I am ready to eat, go to bed, whatever, I do not want to lose progress because I can't save when I want. I tried installing ModAPI hub and the save anywhere mod but it doesn't work. I ended up uninstalling everything and asking Steam for a refund.

Criteria, must have at least partial controller support and be able to save and pick up where I left off at any time. Must also have single player option or be reasonable to play solo. I have been scouring Steam for months trying to find something to play and can't find anything else except Fallout 76. Loved Fallout 4 but have never read anything about 76 that makes me want to buy it. Is it any good for single player and base building?

I am open to any suggestions but don't want to play something that is ancient like Minecraft. LOL. I will probably die of old age before Skyrim 6 comes out.

I did play Elder Scrolls online and loved it but played it to exhaustion until an update completely borked my save.

Last edited:

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Space Engineers is a good one if you want a semi-realistic building game in space. And there's a ton of mods for it.
I bought this and it makes my head hurt. Can't even figure out how to proceed in the second tutorial. Maybe I will play in creative mode but this game and it's menus are overly complicated. Not watching hours worth of youtube videos to figure out how to play it.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Rift Breaker is good, also sure you've heard of No Mans Sky. maybe even Mass Effect Andromeda, Green Hell
No Man's Sky release date 2016 and they are still asking $59.99?? It looks good. I'll buy it when it goes on sale some day.

Rift Breaker isn't my style of game at all. I've played Mass Effect, it was great. Green Hell looked interesting at first but it appears to have a similar "can't save when you want" save system as The Forest. Thanks for the suggestions.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I'm in a slump. I bought The Forest and asked for a refund. I bought Space Engineers and asked for a refund. I bought The Long Dark and have really tried to like it but hated story mode and didn't get very far in survival mode. Maybe I'll go back to it some day. I have since bought God of War and it is awesome. Obviously not a base building game but I also like this style of game. Some of the puzzles are a pain to solve.

TRENDING THREADS