Can anyone suggest a replacement for phenom II 965 BE without changing motherboard which has AM3+ Socket?

Nvrmndryo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
My 9 year old Phenom II 965 BE is dying slowly, it is doing everyday tasks smoothly but I think it hogs lot of power. I am thinking of getting used / old cpu which will replace 965 in same motherboard which has AM3+ socket (Gigabyte ma- ga-785gmt-ud2h). I have 14gigs of ddr3 ram n old hd4850 gfx. Any suggestions?

If it's doing the tasks fine then why replace it? If you are worried about power consumption then the only way to kinda fix that is get a weaker cpu which is not a good idea since the phenom is already low end.

Nvrmndryo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014

Power consumption is not a big issue, but I feel it will be a bottleneck for latest games, I am planning to upgrade gfx too but I will do it eventually. I am looking for a flagship grade cpu not weaker one. I bought 965 in 2009 , so after 5 years there must be great processors compared to 965, and I am guessing I will get those processors in cheap rate as compared to new ones.

Wolfshadw

Titan

Unfortunately, this is not the case. The Phenom II 965 was pretty much the top of the class. There are some hexa-core processors available, but they're slower and consume just as much energy. (CPU Support List).

Anything else you try to put in there isn't going to be worth the cost. It's time for a core system upgrade (CPU/Motherboard/RAM).

-Wolf sends

You currently have one of the best cpu's that your board can handle. It's time for a full rebuild.

DeadnightWarrior

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
blogofthunder.eu
You already have one of the best CPUs that motherboard can handle. Apart from some Phenom X6 there's nothing better and I don't really think it would make a difference.
You should definitely consider swapping motherboard, cpu and ram for something a little more modern (Ryzen 3 or 5, Core i3 or i5 for example).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

There is no more recent flagship-grade CPU available for you here. Even if this were an AM3+ motherboard -- while AM3 motherboards *can* support AM3+ CPUs with BIOS support, Gigabyte does not list them as supported. And even then, none of the AM3+ CPUs are really all that good today; the FX-8350 had a very slight case for being flagship-quality in 2012 when it was released, but that was six years ago.

The only thing you can do, *if* your CPU is actually dying (which I honestly doubt), is another similar CPU, finding a used Phenom IIx4 or IIx6. These will replace a defective CPU, but they won't give you any better performance on today's games.

Nvrmndryo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014

My bad. Yes it is socket AM3 . By reading all comments, I guess I have the best cpu my mobo can get.