Question Can anyone suggest me a good 4k monitor ?

suvo30

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2016
Good day to all. I use a basic 27-inch IPS monitor from LG, which is borderless. I got it way back in 2017. Now I am thinking about shifting to 4K, and to be honest, I have no idea about the requirements for a 4K monitor. Since my present monitor is 27 inches, I want to adapt to something bigger, like, say, a 32-inch 4K monitor. I am also eager to learn about GPUs that can support 4K so I can game at 4K. I am also eager to learn about the newly launched ATX 3.0 SMPS for the new-generation GPU.

It would be of great help if someone could mention following knowledge and also the prices of the following products in Indian Rupees.

1. Any 4K monitor?

2. The new age SMPS that have the ATX 3.0 Tech in it.

3. Any mid-range to high-end GPU from both Nvidia and AMD, as well as pocket-friendly Intel

My basic rig is below.

Ryzen 5 CPU

Hyper X Fury DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (16 GB)

SSD M.2 Corsair MP 600 2 TB NV Me M.2 SSD

HDD 2 = 4 TB SSHD HYBRID DRIVE.

Sapphire RX 580 GPU with 8 GB of GDDR5.

CM C 700M = PC CASE

SMPS stands for CM V 1000 80 Plus Gold.

Logitech Z906 5.1-Channel, 500-Watt RMS Speaker

HP Desk Jet 6075 Printer

LG MP89HM-S 27-inch IPS Monitor

MY PRESENT PC BUILD

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

What kind of settings are you looking to game at, at 4K? Also, what kinds of specific games do you typically play?

Because you realize that if you want to play at anything over very vanilla medium-ish type settings at 4k you are looking at probably an 800 dollar or higher (Possibly much higher) cost for a graphics card that's going to be able to push that. As an alternative, a 32" 1440p display might be a much better option that would allow for a lower cost graphics card to get you where you need to be but if your heart is set on 4k just be prepared that you are probably going to be looking at like 800-1000 dollars for a graphics card (Unless you are willing to settle for MUCH lower settings, moving a LOT of sliders to the left), another 140-200 dollars for an ATX 3.0 power supply capable of supporting that graphics card, plus probably another 300-500 dollars minimum depending on how nice you want the monitor to be and whether you want it to be capable of desirable features such as G-sync or Freesync/G-sync compatible depending on what kind of graphics card you go with.

4k gaming is niche. It is a luxury. It is not, still to this day, for the faint of heart when it comes to investing in the hardware unless you are willing to accept bottom of the barrel hardware to get you there which in all honestly makes the endeavor a waste of both time and money when you could likely be just as happy with decent to good 1440p targeted hardware at the 27-32" range. Still not going to be "cheap", but "cheaper" anyhow.

Reactions: suvo30

suvo30

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2016
I thank you for the answer, kind sir. I am eager to play Cyberpunk 2077 in 4K. I heard it is an awesome game, and it would be an awesome experience to be able to view and play the game in 4K.

All of Assassins Creed to play in 4K, all of Battlefield series in 4K, All of Batman Games in 4K. I am also eagerly waiting for the second part of Cyberpunk 2077 maybe releasing this year hopefully.

I am ready to face the barrel. I know it will never be "cheap," but I am ready to take a risk and have a bit of the luxurious experience of 4K gaming. I am not faint-hearted, so I am ready for it.

Thanks again in advance. Have a nice day.

Why would anybody judge you just because you are in India? Your room looks fine to me. I'm sure it's very hot in the summer, but I don't think anybody is going to judge you based on your country or your room. Looks cleaner and better organized than half the systems I see people with over here in the US for that matter. LOL.

For that matter, it regularly gets to like 105-110°F here where I am in Colorado, and I don't even have or use an air conditioner. Only a swamp cooler. Not really sure what that has to do with your system unless it's just that you tend to have a very high ambient that might affect system temperatures somewhat but that part is your problem and has nothing to do with making recommendations on hardware so lets don't worry about that ok?

So, next question. Since we know you are in India, are there any specific online retailers you feel most comfortable or are able to, order through, in order to recommend parts, or do you require to purchase through local vendors? What is your FULL budget to include the most you can afford to spend for monitor, graphics card and power supply, total?

suvo30

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2016
Thanks, you again for answering me.

Well, to be honest, sir, where I am from in India, I have been" judged all my life, so I am a bit cautious about it. "

Summers are nightmare in India temperatures reaches a high of 45 C (113 F). I am a loner and an introvert; I do not know many people apart from my own parents and a few cousins. I just stay to myself, work remotely, and play PC games in my free time.

I have a particular wholesaler (local wholesaler) that I have been buying from for the past 20 years; he exchanges my old parts for new ones, and I pay for the adjustment, so that is not an issue for me. The other thing is that he gives me offers that are cheaper than those on Amazon India and at other shops in my city.

Since I have no idea about 4K and the GPU and the SMPS so asking for a rough estimate such that when I know all the mid-range and the highest range in case of the components, and I order like 1 month before and I wait for my wholesaler to inform me about the product and then he delivers them to me at my convenient time.

Have a nice day.

Well, that makes it much more difficult to make any kind of recommendations because there are obviously lots of options out there and they vary greatly from one region to another so I have absolutely no idea what hardware is or is not available to you.

Just as a basic matter, I don't think I'd worry too much about the ATX 3.0 power supply. Just get a very good PSU that is high quality and meets the capacity requirements of the system and the graphics card will come with the required adapter to use a non ATX 3.0 PSU with it if it is necessary. There are very few ATX 3.0 PSU models available yet and almost certainly none or very few where you are since there are very few even here in the US and elsewhere at this early date.

I'd say you want to stick with either an RTX 3080 ti, RTX 3090, RTX 4080, RTX 4090, RX 6800, RX 6800 XT, RX 6900, RX 6900 XT or RX 7900 XT. Intel does not sell a capable enough graphics card for 4k gaming at this time. Not for any demanding games anyhow.

Those are the cards that will give you the best options for 4k gaming without having to seriously reduce settings for demanding games. What power supply you choose will need to be a result of which card you choose, for the most part, but regardless you are going to want something of VERY HIGH QUALITY in the 850w-1200w range depending on the card model you choose.

I would recommend, for ANY of these cards, and yes I DO realize that finding quality power supplies in India and other middle eastern and asian countries is often a difficult and expensive process but it doesn't in any way change the fact that one is required if you choose to go this direction, that you stick to the following models if at all possible. Not the "brand" alone. The ACTUAL models. Model is VERY important.

Corsair -RMx, RMi, HX, HXi, AX, AXi.

Seasonic - Prime series Gold, Platinum or Titanium

Super Flower - Leadex III Gold, Leadex V Platinum, Leadex Gold SE, Leadex Platinum SE,

Thermaltake - Toughpower Grand Gold, Toughpower Grand Platinum, Toughpower GF1, GF1 Snow or GF1 RGB.

Cooler master - V Platinum, V Gold v2, XG Platinum, XG Plus Platinum

Antec - High current Pro Platinum,

EVGA - G6, G7

There are certainly other platforms out there worth considering but they will generally be less readily available or more expensive than these models and these models are are all exceptionally good power supplies. They are not cheap however, and you do not want to pair any kind of a cheap or budget power supply with one of the above listed graphics cards or you WILL end up having problems with it. Especially since all of these cards are known for having moderate to high levels of transient power spikes that will devastate a less power supply especially in high temperature regions.

As to the monitor itself, my feeling is that you probably want to try and stick to 4k models with either G-sync or G-sync compatible Freesync, and I prefer looking at models from LG, but clearly there are many other brands with good models out there and you simply need to look at SPECIFIC reviews of the exact model in order to know whether it is a good option or not. Whether you go with a high refresh rate model is up to you but considering you are only rocking a Ryzen 5 and I have no idea WHICH model of Ryzen 5 you are running, what motherboard you have or anything else, it's hard to say what you might be able to support but you need a very good core component selection to achieve anything like 120fps at 4k so while that is certainly an option you might want to only target models that can support 120hz and 60hz or 60hz only, although having G-sync or Freesync might make that a moot point.

suvo30

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2016
Last edited:
For now, that PSU is probably good enough BUT I suspect it did not come with the required adapter for these newer cards that may require the 12vhpwer 16 pin plug. The graphics card probably WILL come with that adapter. In this case, that power supply is probably good enough for MOST of the cards that I listed, but if you go with one of the higher end cards you MIGHT find that you DO need a similar 1200w unit to avoid triggering the OPP or OCP protection from the high transient spikes that these cards are known for having. Probably that would only be a problem with the RTX 3090, 3090 ti, 4090, RX 6950 xt or RX 7900/7900 xt. Some of the "OC" editions of the lower end cards may as well.

For the Ryzen 5 3600 I am doubtful that you will be able to maintain a 120fps or higher frame rate on any of these highly demanding games especially with some of the more CPU specific quality settings enabled BUT you can certainly create a custom quality setting profile that will help to eliminate those problems IF you find you are having trouble maintaining the necessary FPS on a certain game.