[SOLVED] Can ASRock 670M ITX with a PCIE 3.0 riser cable supports GTX 970?

xeonw

Commendable
May 31, 2019
Hey everyone,

New to the forum. Looking to upgrade my 10-year-old PC to a small factor build. I am looking at Lian-Li's new A4-H20 case which comes with a PCIE 3.0 riser cable, and a motherboard of ASRock's H670M ITX, which is the only Alder Lake DDR4 motherboard I can get from the market... My current GPU is a GTX970 but also considering a new graphics card which might not be possible right now. So, my questions are:
  1. With a 3.0 riser cable, will everything be compatible?
  2. When I get a new graphics card, is it okayto just buy a PCIE 4 riser cable, without changing any other piece from the build?
Thanks

Solution
Yes, it should support that graphics card with no problem. And if there is room and support for a 3.0 riser cable, it should work fine with a 4.0 riser cable, but honestly, I would think you could just get the 4.0 riser cable to start with because it should be backwards compatible just like the slots themselves are. And in fact, that board is PCIe 5.0 compatible.
Yes, it should support that graphics card with no problem. And if there is room and support for a 3.0 riser cable, it should work fine with a 4.0 riser cable, but honestly, I would think you could just get the 4.0 riser cable to start with because it should be backwards compatible just like the slots themselves are. And in fact, that board is PCIe 5.0 compatible.

Solution