[SOLVED] Can Asrock Fatal1ty B450 itx, Run Ryzen 9-5950x?

Dec 11, 2021
I would like to upgrade from ryzen 5 5600x to Ryzen 9-5950x!
Is it possible to run the ryzen 9 with no performance compromise on 4+2 phase 44A VRM that b450 has?
Is the vrm capable of providing adequate current for such cpu?
I have a VRM waterblock in case things get hot!

Solution
Is it possible to run the ryzen 9 with no performance compromise on 4+2 phase 44A VRM that b450 has?
Just correcting a couple miconceptions: It is actually a 3x2 phase for the CPU VRM. That's 3 phases with 2 ea. 44A Fairchild power blocks operating in parallel in each phase so 6 in total...so that would be (theoretical) 264A total current handling capability. It would not ever be able to actually achieve that but then it doesn't have to since even a 5950X won't draw anywhere close to that in stock setup...
Just correcting a couple miconceptions: It is actually a 3x2 phase for the CPU VRM. That's 3 phases with 2 ea. 44A Fairchild power blocks operating in parallel in each phase so 6 in total...so that would be (theoretical) 264A total current handling capability. It would not ever be able to actually achieve that but then it doesn't have to since even a 5950X won't draw anywhere close to that in stock setup.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...CjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504&fvid=1925177101

Any performance compromise will be entirely relative for a couple reasons. First, there is always a performance compromise when putting a powerful CPU on a tiny motherboard and in a small case like a mini-ITX would use. Second is what your expectations are with respect to how you're going to use it.

In a full-stock setup with excellent case airflow with an average mix of productivity/gaming workloads I don't think you'd notice any difference beyond the normal variations everyone sees in performance. But cramp it in a highly compact m-ITX case that doesn't provide airflow over the VRM, set a high/fixed all-core overclock and leave it doing (something like) batch video transcoding overnight and it will probably over heat and start throttling the CPU to protect itself. The same could be said of any m-ITX board though.

So somewhere in that spectrum (excellent airflow/light useage; poor airflow/extreme useage) lies what you're going to do.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 11, 2021
Just correcting a couple miconceptions: It is actually a 3x2 phase for the CPU VRM. That's 3 phases with 2 ea. 44A Fairchild power blocks operating in parallel in each phase so 6 in total...so that would be (theoretical) 264A total current handling capability. It would not ever be able to actually achieve that but then it doesn't have to since even a 5950X won't draw anywhere close to that in stock setup.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...CjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504&fvid=1925177101

Any performance compromise will be entirely relative for a couple reasons. First, there is always a performance compromise when putting a powerful CPU on a tiny motherboard and in a small case like a mini-ITX would use. Second is what your expectations are with respect to how you're going to use it.

In a full-stock setup with excellent case airflow with an average mix of productivity/gaming workloads I don't think you'd notice any difference beyond the normal variations everyone sees in performance. But cramp it in a highly compact m-ITX case that doesn't provide airflow over the VRM, set a high/fixed all-core overclock and leave it doing (something like) batch video transcoding overnight and it will probably over heat and start throttling the CPU to protect itself. The same could be said of any m-ITX board though.

So somewhere in that spectrum (excellent airflow/light useage; poor airflow/extreme useage) lies what you're going to do.
Yeah though pcie 3 is old also max 32gb isn't good either so I'm considering getting Asrock B550m itx!
Still not sure if it'll do better than b450 with the 5950x?

Still not sure if it'll do better than b450 with the 5950x?
If you mean B550i Phantom Gaming it sports 6 full phases of 90A smart power stages with 540A (theoretical) current handling capacity. That's going to be much more capable but still doesn't overcome the inherent limitations of most m-ITX builds. They're so compact that cooling the whole package can be a major problem for high power CPU's: CPU, memory, NVME, GPU could all run hot when run as hard as with a typical ATX or even mATX desktop board and case even though those highly efficient 90A power stages are barely breathing hard and still running cool.

Last edited: