can ASUS B85M-G Motherboard support zotac gtx 970

Omar Gonzalez

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
I wouldn't recommend you that MOBO for a gaming setup. I bought the B85m-g r2.0 with a gtx970... and Ohh boy, I had random crashes all over the place, some games would work perfectly some others would be unplayable (semeangly random crashes out of nowhere). Some flash based application crashed all the time and what not...

At first I thought it was a problem with my ram, test were OK, prime95 run all night no problem, My supplier was kind enought to take my vid card back and give me a new one, Problems persisted.

At the end I bought a z97 maximus mobo from Asus... I have had ZERO problems since, system is rock solid now.

Maybe that MOBO is alright for a budget build, or maybe mine was defective.. Not sure at this point I don't care, rather save a bit more get a robust motherboard.

andresy

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Can confirm Omar Gonzalez post. I had same Asus B85M-G motherboard and random crashes were typical when gaming video card was in PCI-E. Whiteout it everything was stable I could use PC without any issues. Had MSI R9 270 which made machine less crash and was usable. After changing card to MSI R9 290 gaming was impossible. Normally starting game it crashed after 30s. Crash messages were different (AMD video card driver has stopped working was most common), but one which lead me to right direction was 0xa00001 (not enough power). I have Corsair RM650 power supply which should be more than enough to keep CPU and GPU happy.
Long story short after changing motherboard to MSI Z97 Gaming 5 everything is rock stable. Probably this little motherboard cant handle power requirement for high power demanding video cards. If you are building machine for gaming keep away from this board.