Can bad wiring cause wrong IP / DHCP setup?

tomdanx

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
So, I have to setup a small office network. Right now I have it like this:

Modem > Wireless Router > Switch (Tp-link TL-SG1016)

The thing is, all I get in the PCs through the Switch is "Unidentified Network" -- That means they are not pulling off a correct IP from the DHCP server, which is in the Router. Now, I tested another Switch (a basic Cisco 8 port switch) and they get correct IP addresses BUT I tested that with different cables.

SO the question is this, can bad wiring (they're all Cat5e) can cause this IP problems? Because I have the network, I mean PCs can see each other, I can transfer files, but obviously they have no Internet access.

Solution
Ok to answer my own question: Yes it can.

I checked every cable and one of them had the internal wires in the wrong order. I fixed it and everything worked just fine. So the answer is yes, a bad cable can cause the DHCP server not giving the correct IP settings, though I could move files locally between PCs with the "Unidentified Network" flag on.

tomdanx

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Ok to answer my own question: Yes it can.

I checked every cable and one of them had the internal wires in the wrong order. I fixed it and everything worked just fine. So the answer is yes, a bad cable can cause the DHCP server not giving the correct IP settings, though I could move files locally between PCs with the "Unidentified Network" flag on.

Solution

paladinnz

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
Glad you've solved your problem. I can't see how an incorrectly wired cable could cause a DHCP server to give out an incorrect setting.
However from your description it sounds like you are getting no DHCP from the server so your PC is using the Microsoft autoconfiguration address (169.254.x.x). This would give the exact situation you are seeing, can't browse the web because no access to the router due to bad cable but can see other PCs as they will all default to the 169.254.x.x network and be able to communicate with each other.