Question Can Bent CPU Pins prevent the Power Supply from turning on?

Feb 22, 2020
So when I was installing my CPU
(Athlon 200GE) into the AM4 socket of my Mobo
( Msi A320M VD/s Pro v2)
I had few of the pins accidentally bent but I made sure that none of them broke and got stuck inside the socket. Now I am having a weird problem.

WHEN I TRY TO POWER MY PC WITHOUT THE PROCESSOR IN THE SOCKET MY PSU WORKS AND THE CASE FANS CONNECTED TO MY PSU WORK BUT PC DOESN'T POST AND THE CPU DEBUG LED GLOWS INDICATING THAT CPU IS MISSING.

BUT WHEN I REPEAT THE PROCESS WITH CPU (WITH BENT PINS) INSTALLED INTO THE SOCKET, HERE MY PSU DOESN'T EVEN START AND THE WHOLE SYSTEM REMAINS IDLE.

I Just wanted to know that why don't my PC with the CPU being installed wrongly and CPU not being in the socket behave the same way?

How It looks without CPU : Here
With CPU Installed ( bent pins) It's all blank my PSU doesn't even start.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019
Thats exactly what was happening with my old Phenom 1055t when I switched coolers. It must just be a way to prevent damage being done to the cpu. Just unbend the pins. Do your best to make sure they are as straight as you can get em. And everything should be good after that.

That's Ok, I've already sent the CPU for getting repaired but I just wanted answer for my questions that Can Bending of CPU Pins prevent PSU from turning On.
I want to say no, bent CPU pins wouldn't prevent the PSU from turning on but I suppose that if some pins were bent badly enough that they shorted to others it might. The way it responds with no CPU in the socket seems perfectly normal.

I'd not want to experiment using a CPU with known-bent pins, especially if it makes that happen since it may be protecting itself against really serious further damage.

Feb 22, 2020
By what procedure did you update the BIOS on the motherboard to run this CPU? If you didn't update the BIOS, it's very likely this CPU wouldn't work, bent pins or no bent pins.
Please can you look at This Image
Zoom in and find the 3 encircled spots and tell me what's wrong with them I am damn sure my socket has some problem.

Please any help would be much appreciated.

Please can you look at This Image
Zoom in and find the 3 encircled spots and tell me what's wrong with them I am damn sure my socket has some problem.

Please any help would be much appreciated.
I think you're pointing out three of the 4 'blank' spots on AM4 socket. Take a look at this picture you'll see that the 4 spots on the socket are accompanied by 4 spots with no pins on the CPU.

Otherwise, I can't seen what you feel is abnormal.