Question Can bent motherboard bend a cpu.

Feb 15, 2021
My computer was not posting so i took it to microcenter and they said that the mobo has a bent pin in the cpu socket. Could this cause the cpu to be bent and not work aswell?

Feb 15, 2021
Intel...bent pins are on the motherboard.

That can ONLY happen before installation of the CPU.
Either it came like that, or whoever installed the CPU messed it up.
I am not that savvy with computers. I switched cases and did not take off the cpu heatsink or look at the cpu. the fans were spinning but no post, messed around with it for a bit and the worst I did is used is hit the whole pc with some compressed air to make sure their was no dust. I took it to microcenter today and got a message saying there is a bent pin inside of the socket on the motherboard side and don't mind too much having a dead motherboard just would care more to not have to buy a new cpu
edit, was working fine was playing tarkov 2 weeks ago just my friend was going on vacation so I thought it was a good time to move it into its new case and now it was not working. .

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Bent pins on the board is sort of a lottery. Some pins have redundancy (ie. power pins) and one bent or broken pin will not likely make the board unusable (as long it's not shorting any other pins).

If it's an I/O pin, you can lose a lot more functionality from not being able to see a memory slot, unstable operation, to, as in your case, not POST at all.

A skilled techie can probably repair a bent pin but only if it's bent. Broken pins coupled with it not POSTing is already considered a write off.

Your CPU, if there isn't any physical damage on it, is likely fine.

USAFRet

Titan
I am not that savvy with computers. I switched cases and did not take off the cpu heatsink or look at the cpu. the fans were spinning but no post, messed around with it for a bit and the worst I did is used is hit the whole pc with some compressed air to make sure their was no dust. I took it to microcenter today and got a message saying there is a bent pin inside of the socket on the motherboard side and don't mind too much having a dead motherboard just would care more to not have to buy a new cpu
edit, was working fine was playing tarkov 2 weeks ago just my friend was going on vacation so I thought it was a good time to move it into its new case and now it was not working. .
A single bent pin on the motherboard socket can be enough to prevent functionality.

Either unbend it (unlikely), or replace the motherboard.

I've had exactly this happen.
I fixed it, but that is not a usual outcome.

Reactions: Dj0gany

USAFRet

Titan
Before - No boot
1a9v061.jpg

After - boot success
oenFyWk.jpg

to fix:
JYUnC45.png

Reactions: Dj0gany
Feb 15, 2021
A single bent pin on the motherboard socket can be enough to prevent functionality.

Either unbend it (unlikely), or replace the motherboard.

I've had exactly this happen.
I fixed it, but that is not a usual outcome.
so is it likely that the cpu is un-usable aswell or is there a chance the cpu could still be usable?

Feb 15, 2021
The CPU is probably fine.

Probably, because we do not know exactly what happened.
There is a small chance that whatever bentness happened shorted across a couple of pads on the CPU.

The only way to know is with a replacement motherboard.
sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions but I dont know much, would using the possibly messed up cpu in a new mobo cause the new mobo to have issues?

Feb 15, 2021
Why not Microcenter?
When I was talking to them they said ¨you are most likely in need of a replacement cpu and motherboard, since we do not carry 7th gen intel¨ so giving the chance that my cpu may still work and if it does not I will find something else I would rather try and find something kaby lake

Feb 15, 2021
msi z270 gaming pro, other specs are i7 7700k, 1070 but planning on upgrading once things stabilize (whenever that may be), 2 256gb nvme ssds, 2 tb hdd, 850 platinum, 16 gb 3200 (do not plan on upgrading ram)