Question Can BIOS be emulated in a USB drive?

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Is it possible to run BIOS in a USB drive, and not in a Firmware chip? There is an operating system that isn't 100% compatible with my BIOS, has kernel functions that require newer ACPI settings, shows warning messages during boot, and requires a newer BIOS than my BIOS. Re-programming or replacing the BIOS chip seems very hard to me, so I prefer to try to emulate it.

So, is there a way to install the BIOS in a USB, plug the USB into the computer, boot the system, and the system to use the BIOS in the USB drive?

USAFRet

Titan
Is it possible to run BIOS in a USB drive, and not in a Firmware chip? There is an operating system that isn't 100% compatible with my BIOS, has kernel functions that require newer ACPI settings, shows warning messages during boot, and requires a newer BIOS than my BIOS. Re-programming or replacing the BIOS chip seems very hard to me, so I prefer to try to emulate it.

So, is there a way to install the BIOS in a USB, plug the USB into the computer, boot the system, and the system to use the BIOS in the USB drive?
No.

Would you like us to go into detail?

Reactions: TheFlash1300

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Ok.

Would you like us to go into detail?
Yes, please. Don't go into super deep detail. Just tell with with a few sentences why it can't happen.

Also, is it possible to replace the BIOS with another BIOS? I'm talking about a simple, generic BIOS used in Acer Aspire.

Can BIOS for Acer Aspire of 2020 be replaced with BIOS for Acer Aspire of 2022? Acer Aspire is a pre-built budget laptop. The generic BIOS in 2022 should be very similar to the generic BIOS in 2020, meaning it's also compatible with the 2022 Acer Aspire hardware, which is also just as generic and simple as the 2020 hardware for the same laptop.

So, what do you think?

I also heard there is a USB-like device that can be used to re-program or replace BIOS. Is this true?

Ok.

Yes, please. Don't go into super deep detail. Just tell with with a few sentences why it can't happen.

Also, is it possible to replace the BIOS with another BIOS? I'm talking about a simple, generic BIOS used in Acer Aspire.

Can BIOS for Acer Aspire of 2020 be replaced with BIOS for Acer Aspire of 2022? Acer Aspire is a pre-built budget laptop. The generic BIOS in 2022 should be very similar to the generic BIOS in 2020, meaning it's also compatible with the 2022 Acer Aspire hardware, which is also just as generic and simple as the 2020 hardware for the same laptop.

So, what do you think?

I also heard there is a USB-like device that can be used to re-program or replace BIOS. Is this true?
No, you don't replace BIOS chip unless it's burned or something and even then it has to be same chip. All you do is to reprogram it with another version of Firmware. That can b done thru BIOS itself, software provided by manufacturer of particular PC for exact model and if it''s corrupted there's special tool to reprogram it directly but that's last option if update fails and is badly corrupted.

Ok.

The bios has functions that are connected (addressable) to certain places in ram the usb is on completely different places in ram so you would have to run an operating system first that would keep an eye out and swap the old with the new places for this to work.
So obviously this would only work if the OS you want to run had this capability itself.

TRENDING THREADS