Can BIOS update help to upgrade chipset?

jamilaiub

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I have a ASUS P5PE-VM motherboard which supports only SATA I (1.5Gb/s). Motherboard manual says that it has north bridge: Intel 865G & south bridge: Intel ICH5. I was told that north bridge is responsible for SATA and IDE devices.

I've bought a Hitachi 1TB Desktar SATA hard drive which supports SATA II (3.0Gb/s). I thought it will work with my motherboard by auto speed negotiation, thought it has no jumper for manual configuration. I thought so because my previous hard drive was also Hitachi 160GB SATA which had 3.0Gb/s also, that worked fine. But this new 1TB hard drive doesn't work, it can not be detected by motherboard, i double checked the data and power cable but those are fine. There is two pins just right to the SATA data connector which looks like jumper but there is no information of that on the sticker so I don't place anything on those.

What should I do now? Is BIOS upgrade a good idea? Can it help me to upgrade the chipset or it's fixed with motherboard? What should I do now? Damn Hitachi website provides nothing, not a single email reply!

I've saved money to buy this hard disk which is of course a dream of mine. Now I'm so lost and feel very much disappointed. Will this end up with giving me advice that I need to buy a new Motherboard as well?

HELP ME PLEASE! :cry:

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Updating the BIOS won't update the Chip-Set, but it *might* fix bugs, check the change log of the latest BIOS and see if there is anything relevant.
Updating the BIOS always carries some element of risk...so the choice is always yours.
If you have a friend with a SATA (3Gig) PC they might be able to us the Hitachi config tool to change the interface speed on the drive for you...
The other option is a PCI/PCIe SATA card...(but that would cost).