Question Can bootkit, MBR virus, GPT virus, and rootkits infect WiFi or BIOS (for both legacy or UEFI)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Justcicia

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
Hi Can bootkit, MBR virus, GPT virus, and rootkits infect WiFi or BIOS (for both legacy or UEFI)? Is this possible, in theory or in practice, in any way, albeit very unlikely?

I understand, so what I really want to ask is, these viruses go away when I format the disk, but is there a possibility that they infect the BIOS-UEFI or WiFi before I format the disk, and then come back when I format the disk?

ID numbers, bank accounts and more
That depends on how the virus interacts with the system. If a virus is going to want to infect firmware, it'll do just that. If it wants to live as a boot sector virus, it'll likely only do that, because traditionally the boot sector is tiny (512 bytes).

If you suspect you have a compromised system and you're extremely paranoid about not being able to get rid of whatever's on it, the only solution that would ease your mind at that point is to dump the machine

Justcicia

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
That depends on how the virus interacts with the system. If a virus is going to want to infect firmware, it'll do just that. If it wants to live as a boot sector virus, it'll likely only do that, because traditionally the boot sector is tiny (512 bytes).

If you suspect you have a compromised system and you're extremely paranoid about not being able to get rid of whatever's on it, the only solution that would ease your mind at that point is to dump the machine
So it can also infect BIOS-UEFI? But isn't that a better option than throwing the machine out?

So it can also infect BIOS-UEFI? But isn't that a better option than throwing the machine out?
Yes, there's a possibility of that happening, but whether or not that actually happens depends on the virus. Do not conflate "can" and "will" in this situation.

And what do you mean "isn't that a better option"? I'm interpreting this as you'd rather have a virus that can bounce back between the firmware and storage drive than to toss out the machine. If security isn't a concern or you don't care about the data that you access with the computer, sure, I guess that's better. But do you really want that?

Justcicia

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
Yes, there's a possibility of that happening, but whether or not that actually happens depends on the virus. Do not conflate "can" and "will" in this situation.

And what do you mean "isn't that a better option"? I'm interpreting this as you'd rather have a virus that can bounce back between the firmware and storage drive than to toss out the machine. If security isn't a concern or you don't care about the data that you access with the computer, sure, I guess that's better. But do you really want that?
I'm sorry, the translation is wrong, I'm asking if there are better methods than throwing the machine?

Justcicia

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
For the average person? No.
What do you mean for the average person? Would a cybersecurity company help me get rid of it completely?
If for some reason you believe that the virus is going to be bouncing back and forth in everything, you're going to have to basically replace all of the hardware all at once anyway.
But isn't it possible for these things to happen?