[SOLVED] Can burnt ram damage a motherboard?

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
I have a new build the ram has not come in the mail yet but I have some ram that has scorch marks on it wondering if that might damage the motherboard?

Solution
Are you talking about the discolorations on the little gold fingers? That doesn't look like scortch marks, looks a lot more like the scratches that ram slot spring clips inside the slot are intended to do.

Meaning there's absolutely nothing wrong with the ram that I can see. Stop trying to clean them or you just Might end up actually causing some real damage.

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
MNG7Yj.jpg

I don’t know if you can see the marks on the edge I can’t get them off I don’t know for sure if these are burnt or not

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Are you talking about the discolorations on the little gold fingers? That doesn't look like scortch marks, looks a lot more like the scratches that ram slot spring clips inside the slot are intended to do.

Meaning there's absolutely nothing wrong with the ram that I can see. Stop trying to clean them or you just Might end up actually causing some real damage.

Reactions: kaib
Solution

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Thanks for the help
I have one more question I’m a bit of noob
so on my old pc that was already broken my brother unplugged the old Ram while the pc was on wondering if that might cause damage if I put the old ram in the new motherboard after that event

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh bummer. Well that's hard to say how that would have affected the old motherboard or ram. Would assume motherboard/ram copped a short but since the stick was removed and not installed while there was power, you might've been lucky. What came of the old motherboard? Does it or the ram slot still work?

If ram is faulty because of what happened, it still wouldn't harm your new motherboard, just simply wont work.

You do know the differences between DDR 3 and 4 yeah? Just In case the older system is DDR 3 and your new motherboard uses DDR 4. That neither are interchangeable / psychically aren't compatible with one or other?

I agree.
If you are concerned about the discolouration on the contacts, don't be. It's most likely just blow-by from the system fan nearby..dirty soot. If the RAM was subjected to enough heat to scorch it, you'd see other signs.
I would suggest rubbing the contacts with a qtip and either contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol. Make sure it's fully dry before you test it.

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Yeah I know the difference between DDR4 and 3
the computer was pretty old
my brother’s friend gave this to me
then after a while the slots went bad on the motherboard

Last edited: