[SOLVED] Can Chromebooks be a Vector for Windows Malware?

drwhang

Distinguished
May 30, 2014
Hi there.

Ok, so used to be, I always reformatted a USB on a Mac (not quick format, I used the option that has 3 passes) before I insert it to my windows laptop/pc. I did this to lessen the chances of getting a virus from other windows computers since I occasionally needed to use the USB on public computers.

My question is, can chromebooks be a vector for windows viruses? I don't have access to a Mac now, and the only extra/different OS I have is a chromebook. Was planning to do the same method before inserting the USB to my windows laptop.

Yes, I do have ESET and malwrebytes on my windows laptop, but hey, you know what they say. Prevention is better than cure, right? I know, I know, I'm paranoid.

Thanks!

Solution
Prevention is indeed better than the cure.

Just continue with your usual AV measures: scans, avoid sketchy websites, USB sticks from unknown sources, etc..

And I would not deem your efforts paranoid. Just continue to be very careful.

That is a good practice no matter what....

Ralston18

Titan

Just continue with your usual AV measures: scans, avoid sketchy websites, USB sticks from unknown sources, etc..

Reactions: drwhang
Solution

drwhang

Distinguished
May 30, 2014

Thank you for the reply!