Question Can CMOS die???

Mar 15, 2019
I have a problem with turn on my Sony Vaio SVF143A1YW. I tried adding one more RAM for my laptop,
It has already worked well for 2 months. Now when I push the power button my laptop has noise fan spin but the screen does not start up, I wait about 30 minutes then everything fine the screen on and I can entry win 10, and everything works well, fan spin without any noise. I have this problem again after I restart or shut down my laptop, sometimes I need to wait for more than 1hour.
Please tell me how can I fix this problem? Thank you so much and sorry for my poor English.

Mar 15, 2019
Yes it can die but it can also get confused when new RAM is installed. Check it's manual for the way to reset CMOS/BIOS to factory defaults.
I have already reset CMOS( just take out battery and AC adapter then I take out Cmos, put it back and hold on power button 10 seconds), but my laptop still have the same issue!
Thank for your answer!

Mar 15, 2019
Is the extra RAM visible in the system?
Are You sure it's installed as it should?
What happens if You unmount new ram from laptop? Everything works fine?
Yes, the extra Ram visible in the system! because I have checked the voltage and speed of the older one.
I also check the memorize by CPU-Z and I guess it is compatible with the older one.
When I unmount new RAM from my laptop! My laptop still get the same problem!
Thank for your answer!

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
When I unmount new RAM from my laptop! My laptop still get the same problem!
Thank for your answer!
So that might suggest, that RAM has nothing to do with it.

Try to:
  • install only old ram / reset cmos
  • install only new ram / reset cmos
If it doesn't make any difference, i'd suspect that it failed elsewhere (hard drive maybe? To check if it is a hard drive or some damaged file system, You can create bootable usb, unmount the hard drive and see what happens when You launch Your PC)

Mar 15, 2019
So that might suggest, that RAM has nothing to do with it.

Try to:
  • install only old ram / reset cmos
  • install only new ram / reset cmos
If it doesn't make any difference, i'd suspect that it failed elsewhere (hard drive maybe? To check if it is a hard drive or some damaged file system, You can create bootable usb, unmount the hard drive and see what happens when You launch Your PC)
I try to follow what you said, but it does not make any difference, I take out RAM put in another My Laptop(DELL) both of them work well. Then I take out the hard drive put in My Dell Laptop and format Disk C( Win 10 ). But I can not set up the new win because of GPT( My boot win 10 not in GPT form). I also check the Vaio without the hard disk, Push the power on, and My Vaio still have the same problem, cannot boot, fan spin noise, black screen, Vaio logo does not appear!

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
I also check the Vaio without the hard disk, Push the power on, and My Vaio still have the same problem, cannot boot, fan spin noise, black screen, Vaio logo does not appear!
Can You enter the bios or is it blank screen from the start and You see nothing? (it should be something like tapping F2 or F10 at the start... or maybe another key...) Do You see the bios menu?

Mar 15, 2019
Can You enter the bios or is it blank screen from the start and You see nothing? (it should be something like tapping F2 or F10 at the start... or maybe another key...) Do You see the bios menu?
I can not enter the bios, My vaio has assist button to enter the bios, but when I push the assist button, my laptop has the same problem and can not enter the bios, just have fan spin noise!

TRENDING THREADS