Question Can Corsair AX1200i power; Intel i9-11900K / 128GB Ram / Asus Hero XIII?

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
It's really pretty much summed up in the question. I just started to build a new system with
Intel i9-11900K Asus Maximus XIII Hero, Corsair Vengeance LPX 128 GB 3200
I already have a Corsair AX 1200i Digital ATX PSU from my previous build.
And I've just realized I might have a compatibility issue in my hand... Naturally, it bummed me out...

On the Corsair product page which I can't seem to find now, there is no trace of even "i9"!
Let alone a 128 GB Ram set...

But then again on the Corsair Vengeance LPX page, there was no motherboard that was declared compatible with a 128GB set... So I asked Corsair and fortunately, they gave a 'Go' for the Asus mobo...
Thus, I went ahead and bought the Mem set...

What do you think? Can I get away with it?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, more than enough. For a power supply to be labeled i9 ready or something would be rather pointless since the name is just a name and doesn't denote power requirements.

Any reason you need that much memory?

Certainly better options for a casual workstation than Intel. You can get double the cores from AMD with the 5950X.

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hundreds and hundreds of loaded channels and countless samples. A typical Soundtrack workflow... 128 is way more than enough for now. Soon though, it will be just enough.

I had the same story 10 years ago when I built my first WS with 64GB Ram...
People were laughing... No one laughs now... ;)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just asking. I don't need 32GB of memory, but it was on sale, and it looks like memory prices are going up anyway. And if it lasts me another few years, hooray.

Still though, AMD would seem to be the better workstation CPU, unless you know Intel CPUs have better support in your software.

Rather than the 11900k, you might also consider the 10900k, which has 10 cores instead of 8. (I recently bought a 10900F for that reason, figure the extra two cores might come in handy)

cemster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
For music production PC, multi-cores don't mean much. However, single-thread performance does...

AMD except the last 16 core CPU is not good for music production due to dropouts and latency problems...

If you are not dealing with hundreds of tracks and plugins then you don't need 128 GB of Ram. And even then 128GB is a bit overkill; for now! Tomorrow is a different story...

When I built my previous rig I installed 64GB of Ram and everybody was laughing at me... Nobody is laughing now... ;)

Last edited: