Question Can CPU overheat cause low GPU usage?

GabrielAbarca

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2016
A couple of days ago I opened a game like I always do and I got really low fps. I thought it was weird and tested League of Legends, and got like 40 fps. After investigating a bit I've noticed that my gpu usage was low, between 25 and 65%. After a few minutes I've noticed that my cpu was really hot, 100°C without even playing, just chrome opened.

Can this overheat cause de low usage of the gpu? And would buying a new cooler and thermal paste help?

Notes: I've had this cpu since 2014 and never bought a new cooler for it besides the default one.

Specs: GTX 1060 6gb
I7 4770
8gb ram
ASRock Z87M Pro4

GabrielAbarca

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2016
yep that's the cause of all your issues. Upgrade that CPU cooler asap to something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 or CRYROIG H7. If you buy a CPU cooler, they typically come with thermal paste already.

100C is really bad for that CPU, it's also throttling like crazy, lowering performance.
Thanks for the reply!

I bought a Cooler Master Blizzard T2, it was on sale here so I took the opportunity. It should arrive in a couple of days so I hope it solves the problem. Like you said, it comes with thermal paste so thanks for the tip!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ever tried to drive down the street with the brakes on? Not going very far, very fast. That's exactly what happens when a cpu overheats, it puts on the brakes, and everything suffers slowdowns as a result.

Reviews show the Blizzard T2 can handle an i7-3770K at stock clocks (slightly better performance than a 4770) and the 77w-84w difference is negligible. Maxed out under Prime95 small fft the 3770k only reached 73°C, so gaming temps should be in the mid 50's on a 4770.

No worries.

You also have a z87 mobo, so while you can't OC a locked 4770, you will have access to vcore voltages and can lower them from stock, effectively running the cpu cooler with no loss of performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: GabrielAbarca

GabrielAbarca

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2016
Ever tried to drive down the street with the brakes on? Not going very far, very fast. That's exactly what happens when a cpu overheats, it puts on the brakes, and everything suffers slowdowns as a result.

Reviews show the Blizzard T2 can handle an i7-3770K at stock clocks (slightly better performance than a 4770) and the 77w-84w difference is negligible. Maxed out under Prime95 small fft the 3770k only reached 73°C, so gaming temps should be in the mid 50's on a 4770.

No worries.

You also have a z87 mobo, so while you can't OC a locked 4770, you will have access to vcore voltages and can lower them from stock, effectively running the cpu cooler with no loss of performance.
Yeah, I know that the cpu could cause that, I think I just freaked out in the moment and didn't really think straight. Since I've had problems with my last gpu I think I just assumed that was the problem

Thanks for the information about the Blizzard T2, that makes me relieved. I'm only a bit worried cause it reaches 100°C just by turning on the pc. My friend told me to do a stress test to see if it would get higher but I didn't want to keep it running on that temperature anymore (worried it could damage it) and I haven't used my computer since monday

Also, do you know any guides on the vcore voltages? Sounds interesting if it doesn't make me lose performance

Thanks for the reply!