Question Can damage to hard drive affect one key on keyboard across builds?

Mar 22, 2020
I am amazed and perplexed. perhaps somebody can shed light on my issue.

I have a laptop which I dropped several months ago. Screen was damaged, and the backtick/tilde key became sticky and less sensitive. I would have to hold it down to get it to work. I sent the laptop to HP for repair, but forgot to mention the keyboard issue. When it was returned, the physical damage was fixed, but the tilde key problem remained.

I figured it was physical damage to the keyboard system, until yesterday.

So since I had a lot of spare time, I decided that I would replace my laptop's Hynix M.2 storage with a spare WD Black M.2 I had. I replaced the laptop storage with the WD Black and put the Hynix from the laptop into my PC as the boot drive (since it already booted Windows 10).

Here's the crazy thing. I started to notice that the tilde key on my PC's keyboard was now having the same issue as on the laptop. Curious, I tried two other keyboard with the same results. Then, I tested the laptop's tilde key, and it was working perfectly!

Could it be that the damage to the laptop affected the M.2 in such a way that ONLY the tilde key would become sticky and less sensitive?

If anybody could shed light on this, I would be curious to know what is happening here.

USAFRet

Titan
To be clear...
You took the M.2 drive out of the laptop, put it in your desktop, and it boots right up?
Well, that is one of the few cases where that has actually worked. Usually that would fail.

To your question:
I don't see how that would be possible.

Mar 22, 2020
To be clear...
You took the M.2 drive out of the laptop, put it in your desktop, and it boots right up?
Well, that is one of the few cases where that has actually worked. Usually that would fail.

To your question:
I don't see how that would be possible.

That is exactly correct.

I wanted to put a better quality M.2 in my laptop...I only put the laptop's M.2 as the boot drive in my PC b/c I didn't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling Windows last night.

My other PC HD is a Samsung evo M.2 so I will make that my boot drive, but at the moment the Hynix is the boot drive.

I know it sounds nuts, but if after I change the boot drive to the Samsung M.2 and the tilde key works normally, that would confirm that the hard drive was the issue.

I can't see how changing the laptops M.2 would affect only one key.