[SOLVED] Can dark rock 4 overclock i5 8600k

Jul 7, 2020
Hello community, i build my rig for 3d modeling and animation purpose. I've i5 8600k cpu. Can dark rock 4 overclock CPU? Is dark rock 4 better for balencing temp for 3d modeling and rendering?

Solution
OC is never 100% stable. At best its 99.99%. You gamble on that 0.01% when gaming, there's no big loss, even if you have enough data corruption happen to force a full windows and game reinstall. It's just a game.

But paid work is different. Yes time is money, but if you are 59minutes into an hour long render that's realistically not much different from running Prime95, and it glitches and you spend the next 3 hours trying to get the pc back into running shape, just exactly how much was that OC really worth.

Tinker with toys you spend money on all you want to, don't mess with the toys that make you money. If you want faster render times, look into software that's more effective, faster platforms, cpu vs gpu renders etc
The Dark Rock 4 is a good CPU cooler and should allow for a overclock but dependant on your case and airflow as well.

I have seen people push to 4.8GHz on the Dark Rock but you will be hitting very high sustained temps...So something like a all core 4.6/4.7GHz should work. Test with your workloads to see if that can maintain a temps on or below 80 degrees C and you will be fine..vcore will be key and keeping it around 1.3v or lower will really help on temps.

Also one thing that will make a huge difference is delidding especially on intel 8th Gen and it can drop temps by a good 15 to 20 degrees C with Liquid Metal TIM. I had a 8700K and took the plunge and dropped temps by a huge amount. It turned out to be much easier than I first thought and there are plenty of decent guides on you tube to do this.

Reduce rendering times? My thinking is that if you buy a K CPU then overclocking and the extra headroom you can unlock goes hand in hand, why leave that extra performance on the table when it is there to be used. With some testing getting a stable overclock especially on Intel is not difficult an could drop some amount of minutes per render which saves time and allows for more productivity...But thats just me...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@vMax
I can tell you've been at it for some time, and have experience. You or I have no idea what the OP knows though.
I assume greenhands - to be on the safe side - unless they state otherwise.

I agree it's not difficult - if one puts in the time to do it right. From my experience, I notice more people looking to 'one and done it', not even look to possible troubleshooting later, and that is no good.

Reactions: RodroX

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
OC is never 100% stable. At best its 99.99%. You gamble on that 0.01% when gaming, there's no big loss, even if you have enough data corruption happen to force a full windows and game reinstall. It's just a game.

But paid work is different. Yes time is money, but if you are 59minutes into an hour long render that's realistically not much different from running Prime95, and it glitches and you spend the next 3 hours trying to get the pc back into running shape, just exactly how much was that OC really worth.

Tinker with toys you spend money on all you want to, don't mess with the toys that make you money. If you want faster render times, look into software that's more effective, faster platforms, cpu vs gpu renders etc

Reactions: RodroX and Phaaze88
Solution
Jul 7, 2020

I appreciate your response and I got the ans. Thank you so much. And there is another question I've, as you know I am using i5 8600k in this rig for rendering purpose, so I want to know there must be cpu coolers which offer at low cost(reasonable). I understand they can't give me performance like dark rock 4. But for the cpu and my all render and 3d modeling work they are efficient. Can you suggest me (only air coolers)

Jul 7, 2020
For your work, where platform stability > all, why would overclocking be on the list?
For your work, where platform stability > all, why would overclocking be on the list?
I think you are right. I should look for stability. I appreciate your response. Thank you so much. there is another question I've, as you know I am using i5 8600k in this rig for rendering purpose, so I want to know there must be cpu coolers which offer at low cost(reasonable). I understand they can't give me performance like dark rock 4. But for the cpu and my all render and 3d modeling work they are efficient. Can you suggest me (only air coolers) I've ask this to another person too Becz I need suggestions from both of you

I do not know what software do you use for rendering, but many programs out there already take advantage of more threads (physical and logical), so going from your i5 8600K (6 cores/6threads) to a i7 8700K (6 cores/12threads) could improve your rendering times by a nice margin. And you can keep the same cooler DR4 for the i7.

Besides CPU, the amount and speed of RAM is also important for 3D Modeling, and even for rendering.

Jul 7, 2020
I do not know what software do you use for rendering, but many programs out there already take advantage of more threads (physical and logical), so going from your i5 8600K (6 cores/6threads) to a i7 8700K (6 cores/12threads) could improve your rendering times by a nice margin. And you can keep the same cooler DR4 for the i7.

Besides CPU, the amount and speed of RAM is also important for 3D Modeling, and even for rendering.
ok I understand But I already have i5 8600k And right now I've no plan to shift. Can you suggest me air cooler for i5 which is reasonable and efficient for my work

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A lot depends on exactly what software you use and the other hardware. If using Sony Vegas Pro, most find that an AMD gpu offers far superior performance to nvidia gpu or even cpu. Same applies when using NVenc, a strong nvidia card works far better than the cpu. So that i5 might not be much of an issue for a gpu render setup.

An i7 will definitely not hurt performance either way, and if using cpu bound software, will definitely be a bonus.

But at the end of the day it's a judgement call. Use something like CoreTemp running in the background. It'll monitor your temps in real-time. If that i5 with the DR4 is pushing very high temps, the i7 will be an issue. If it's decent temps for the load, and still has room on the fan curve for more, the i7 most likely won't be an issue.

Can't say more for sure, since we don't really have your view of the pc and it's capacity nor capabilities. It could be just adding a fan to the case drops the temps 10°C, so it's going to be more of you exploring and comparing and judging than us giving a definitive answer.