Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
hello
i m a noob in this field. please dont laugh at me
can DDR3 graphic card be placed into DDR2 enabled motherboards
my system config is as follows
Intel core 2 duo processor 2.4 GHz
2 Gb RAM
I m not sure of the type of slot which the others mentioned in the other threads
i am planning to buy nvidia 9800 512 mb DDR3 graphic card. will my system be able to run it.

Solution
Yes its fine the memory on the graphics card is not linked in anyway to what the motherboard is runing.
Will it run it ? Well assuming you have the correct slots in the board and its a SLI board, and that your Power supply is up to the job then yes it will. There is no compatability problem between what memory the Graphics is running and what the motherboard is running.

Mactronix
I would have been so much easier if you could have provided your mobo model number.

About your question, the answer is a yes. DDR and GDDR are completely different. DDR2 mobo means the RAM that it will support while the GPU DDR3 is completely different and has no dependency on the RAM DDR supported. Your mobo can hold GDDR2, GDDR3, GDDR5 cards easily provided you have a PCIe slot!

Yes its fine the memory on the graphics card is not linked in anyway to what the motherboard is runing.
Will it run it ? Well assuming you have the correct slots in the board and its a SLI board, and that your Power supply is up to the job then yes it will. There is no compatability problem between what memory the Graphics is running and what the motherboard is running.

Mactronix

Solution

Having a Sticky is fine but the people who ask the questions that people want a Sticky for almost always dont realise they are there. We have asked on several ocasions for them to be a differant colour to stand out more, they could even be boxed out and given an inch or so clearance to make them more obvious but some cleaver arse somewhere decided that mucking about with years old status's and giving out badges was more important than actually having a more user friendly forum.

Mactronix

shubham1401

Distinguished

+1.
:)

supernova_2009

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
the problem is i have intel D945GCPE motherboard which has only has PCi slot n not PCIe. Now i am thinking about changing the motherboard. n thanks a lot for the response. appreciate mactronics,hell_storm n maziar's response. n regarding sticky notes i didnt know that same questions had already been raised. anyway thanks 4 all d help.