Can deleted files be recovered in SSD?

rzxDDDDD

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
I have read somewhere that deleted files can't be recovered from a SSD. Once deleted remains deleted forever. Is that 100% true? I need a storage solution for my sensitive files.

Solution

This depends on why you are trying to recover, and from what, and at what level.

From an actual dead drive? The HDD may possibly be 'easier' (but will cost money)
From a delete? No difference
From a partition overwrite? No difference.

But this brings to light a simple fix, no matter what drive type it is.
Backups are your friend.

If my current C drive (500GB SSD) were to melt into a pile of goo tight now, it would take me about 20 minutes to reconstitute. For $0.

But your basic premise - "deleted files can't be recovered from a SSD" - is false.
I'm not in the habit of randomly deleting stuff that I want to actually keep. But a while ago, I tried...

USAFRet

Titan

No, that is false.
From a dead SSD, it is much harder/impossible.

Simple deletion? No problem.

EDIT: Let me qualify that 'no problem'
ANY deleted file, that is deleted and then removed from the recycle bin, is questionable to retrieve.
Be it HDD or SDD.

But a simple delete? No.

rzxDDDDD

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

When compared to traditional HDD is the chance of recovery less in SSD?

USAFRet

Titan

This depends on why you are trying to recover, and from what, and at what level.

From an actual dead drive? The HDD may possibly be 'easier' (but will cost money)
From a delete? No difference
From a partition overwrite? No difference.

But this brings to light a simple fix, no matter what drive type it is.
Backups are your friend.

If my current C drive (500GB SSD) were to melt into a pile of goo tight now, it would take me about 20 minutes to reconstitute. For $0.

But your basic premise - "deleted files can't be recovered from a SSD" - is false.
I'm not in the habit of randomly deleting stuff that I want to actually keep. But a while ago, I tried it with one of my SSD's.
Recovered a deleted file, using Recuva, no problem. Even found some stuff that I had thought was long gone.

Where did you read this?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS