[SOLVED] Can disconnected case fans cause overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarono123

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019
I'm building my gf's dad's computer and his case fans don't connect anywhere on the Mobo. I connected the CPU fan, but that's the only source of airflow. Will his computer overheat? He's not a gamer. He's using the computer for office work and literally only had front panel connecters, CPU and CPU fan, and ram connected to Mobo. As well as HDD, SSD, and Optical drive.

Solution
Yes, you DO need good air flow though the case. So let's figure out how to do that.

First, what mobo - maker and exact model number - do you have?

Next, how many fans for case ventilation do you have, and tell us maker and model numbers for EACH fan? If you don't have the fan info, describe the connectors on the ends of each fan's wires. There are three likely possibilities:

(a) the common 3-pin fan has a female connector about 3/8" wide with three holes, and two ridges running down the side;
(b) the common 4-pin fan has a very similar connector about 1/2 " wide with four holes, and that fourth one is outside the two ridges on the side; or,
(c) some fans have a male 4-pin Molex connector that is much wider - about 3/4" wide - with...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, you DO need good air flow though the case. So let's figure out how to do that.

Next, how many fans for case ventilation do you have, and tell us maker and model numbers for EACH fan? If you don't have the fan info, describe the connectors on the ends of each fan's wires. There are three likely possibilities:

(a) the common 3-pin fan has a female connector about 3/8" wide with three holes, and two ridges running down the side;
(b) the common 4-pin fan has a very similar connector about 1/2 " wide with four holes, and that fourth one is outside the two ridges on the side; or,
(c) some fans have a male 4-pin Molex connector that is much wider - about 3/4" wide - with space for four round pins inside a shroud, but two of those pins often are missing.

So, do your fans have any of those, or something else?

Solution

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Not really, as long as the CPU cooler has thermal paste on it and it's relatively good; it won't even come close to hot, as long as he doesn't ramp up the usage of the CPU to over 80%. Either way I'd recommend leaving the PC case open as that always improves heat by a Removed ton when not using additional fans on the case. I actually game on a PC without any additional cooling fans just with my case open and it works just fine under 80 degrees for the GPU while gaming and 50 degrees for the CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really, as long as the CPU cooler has thermal paste on it and it's relatively good; it won't even come close to hot, as long as he doesn't ramp up the usage of the CPU to over 80%. Either way I'd recommend leaving the PC case open as that always improves heat by a Removed ton when not using additional fans on the case. I actually game on a PC without any additional cooling fans just with my case open and it works just fine under 80 degrees for the GPU while gaming and 50 degrees for the CPU.
Not a bad point, if your are going to use it with only the cpu fan, having the side panel open may not be a bad idea.

Could be dangerous if being used around small children and animals though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LauroSalvatore

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Not a bad point, if your are going to use it with only the cpu fan, having the side panel open may not be a bad idea.

Indeed, I have a younger nephew and when he comes to my house I always have to close the case because he wants to dig he's dirty little paws into my PC components while it's running.

aarono123

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019

Luckily the Corsair Carbide 200R has ventilation on the side panel. There's no glass panel, it's closed but there's gigantic vents so maybe that helps?

aarono123

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019

(c) some fans have a male 4-pin Molex connector that is much wider - about 3/4" wide - with space for four round pins inside a shroud, but two of those pins often are missing.

So, do your fans have any of those, or something else?
The case is a Corsair Carbide 200R and Mobo is B450 PRO.

aarono123

Commendable
Jul 14, 2019
you can plug 3 pin fans into 4 pin headers, just line up the plastic tab and youre good to go.
I'll try again, but I did try to plug them in and the way the pins are on the Mobo don't line up with the fan pin. So, like, the 3 pins on the fan plug is kind of centered. The Mobo 4 pins are normal single line, so it wouldn't fit. Unless I'm stupid, they didn't fit

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I'll try again, but I did try to plug them in and the way the pins are on the Mobo don't line up with the fan pin. So, like, the 3 pins on the fan plug is kind of centered. The Mobo 4 pins are normal single line, so it wouldn't fit. Unless I'm stupid, they didn't fit
Not trynna be mean, but it does sound like you're kinda dumb yes, although without seeing it myself I don't wanna judge. Could you post a picture of the fan connector and the motherboard 4 pin connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS