can DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual-link converter translate 120Hz??

Nov 11, 2018
Hi, I have been tackling this problem of mine for almost a month now!

I use BenQ XL2720T that can support 120Hz according to their manual preferably through using included DVI-D Dual link cable. I have used it for years no problem but recently I have upgraded my GPU to ASUS RTX2080 STRIX ROG and this does not come with DVI port! only DP and HDMI and mini.

[exposition, you may skip - only included incase, there is some fine detail I am missing]
Easiest solution seems to use DP to DP right? so I bought a decent one, at around $30 AUD.
When I plugged the DP on to the XL2720T, it tells me no cable detected. I have no other devices that use DP so no way to test the cable or the monitor. I visited a computer shop near me, asked if I could just plug it to test and they tell no can do because of security reasons. So instead, I bought another DP to DP cable from them, another $30AUD.

I got home to plug this new DP and the monitor OSD tells me that it can not detect any cable again. So to my limited info, the conclusion is that the DP socket on my XL2720T is faulty(I have tried unplugging both my desktop and monitor out for 5 min to be safe).

[main question]
Now, here is my question, I notice poking around the forum and just googling, DP to DVI-d dual link an active one can normally function no problem. as mentioned in exposition above, DP to DP is out of option and I have contacted BenQ support regarding this question. The guy on the phone couldn't give me a confirmation whether this converter can give me 120Hz.

I am looking at StarTech 1.8m DisplayPort to DVI Converter Cable (DP2DVIMM6BS). it is $90AUD, very hefty priced cable and before I go off to buy it, would anyone with similar experience with this specific monitor be able to advise me if this is a bad idea?

I thank you for reading this convoluted post. I always appreciate the helpful community here!

Solution
Did you enable DP as the input type on your monitor settings? Some monitors require this.

Otherwise, yes, an active DP to dual link DVI adapter should be capable of up to 144hz.
Nov 11, 2018
Thank you for your quick response! it is when I go on the On Screen Display on the XL2720T to choose DisplayPort the monitor tells me no cable detected. If that specific StarTech cable can retain, I guess I will go ahead with buying it.

TRENDING THREADS