[SOLVED] can Dryer sheets be used as a effective dust mesh fan filter

devo343

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
is this acuttaly effective or a waste of time my case doesn't have dust mesh filters so i have to improvise and im tired of cleaning it every 2 weeks

Solution
Interesting:

Where did you hear about using dryer sheets?

How thick does the dust get in the case after two weeks?

Does the computer sit on the floor? Just raising the computer a few inches can make a difference. Or moving the computer a few inches out of room airflows that can "drop off dust". Dust accumulates no matter what because of static electricity.

To answer/address your question: My thoughts - perhaps.

Test out the idea but be very vigilant.

Use unscented dryer sheets to avoid possible chemicals being pulled into the system. However, I believe that even unscented sheets contain chemicals. Otherwise the sheet is just a piece of paper tumbling around.....

Carefully monitor system temperatures and air flows...

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting:

Where did you hear about using dryer sheets?

How thick does the dust get in the case after two weeks?

Does the computer sit on the floor? Just raising the computer a few inches can make a difference. Or moving the computer a few inches out of room airflows that can "drop off dust". Dust accumulates no matter what because of static electricity.

To answer/address your question: My thoughts - perhaps.

Test out the idea but be very vigilant.

Use unscented dryer sheets to avoid possible chemicals being pulled into the system. However, I believe that even unscented sheets contain chemicals. Otherwise the sheet is just a piece of paper tumbling around.....

Carefully monitor system temperatures and air flows.

Inspect case interior before and during testing. Determine if the dryer sheet is, indeed, filtering out dust.

Check the dryer sheet often to determine if it is darkening or other showing signs of actually stopping dust/particulates.

Could be that the sheet will "dry out" and become ineffective.

Again: just my immediate thoughts. There may be other ideas and suggestions.

Solution
What is the make/model of your case?
What is your fan arrangement?
If all of your intake airflow comes in the front, that is called "positive pressure" system and is quite effective in keeping things clean assuming that is where you have the filters.
Every two weeks sounds a bit much.
The front of my case has a washable filter that I clean perhaps twice a year.
Looking at it, the mesh looks about like a windows screen size.
Perhaps you can make a removable frame out of that.
There will be a trade off.
The more effective and more restrictive the filter, the more it impacts case airflow.

devo343

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
What is the make/model of your case?
What is your fan arrangement?
If all of your intake airflow comes in the front, that is called "positive pressure" system and is quite effective in keeping things clean assuming that is where you have the filters.
Every two weeks sounds a bit much.
The front of my case has a washable filter that I clean perhaps twice a year.
Looking at it, the mesh looks about like a windows screen size.
Perhaps you can make a removable frame out of that.
There will be a trade off.
The more effective and more restrictive the filter, the more it impacts case airflow.
my pc gets dusty even after 2 weeks of use

Jul 12, 2020
I think they are too dense. Compare to a regular dust filter used in cases.

And if your case is not built for filters, you likely have a hard time installing the filter so that there is no bypass air. air always will choose the path of least resistance, and if the path between filter and fan is not well sealed, unfiltered air will bypass the filter. Especially if you use a high-pressure drop material, like a dense dryer sheet.