Can DVD RW drives rip DVD's onto the computer?

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I was just wondering if DVD drives could rip DVD's onto the computer, and if they could do I need to go buy software to do that, or is it part of the optical drive package?

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I believe you can use DVD Shrink to backup the DVD image to your hard drive. I think you can then use Daemon Tools to mount the image without actually burning it, and treat it as an actual DVD.

It's been awhile since I've messed around with it, but I'm pretty sure it will work. You might want to defrag your hard drive afterwards as encoding DVDs fragments your drive, at least it does to mine.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
you could just use some illegal programs i'm not sure which ones are the best my freind ****** uses dvd ripper i think or some other illegal program(had to sensor the persons name dont want the riaa and mpaa sending them a lawsuit)

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
yeah but you need software, such as divx (the version that costs $) or other brands roxio has something called dvd copy.

NOT that CRAPWARE! (RoXiO)

Software designed overseas do need to comply with US predatory laws Driving Redneck Morons from RIAA Happy

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I was just wondering if DVD drives could rip DVD's onto the computer, and if they could do I need to go buy software to do that, or is it part of the optical drive package?

You need the best software from out of DRM crap zone!

DVD Fab

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I believe you can use DVD Shrink to backup the DVD image to your hard drive. I think you can then use Daemon Tools to mount the image without actually burning it, and treat it as an actual DVD.

It's been awhile since I've messed around with it, but I'm pretty sure it will work. You might want to defrag your hard drive afterwards as encoding DVDs fragments your drive, at least it does to mine.

yeah i used dvd shrink 3.2 it lets you rip protected dvds onto your comp as an image, and then you can use nero or other program to send it back on to a blank as a copy

Cinder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I've used DVD Decrypter to rip DVDs and then Nero 6 Ultra to burn a backup copy on a DVD+R.

DVD Shrink is a free utility that will rip a DVD and burn a copy for you if you have burning software.

Oh yeah, It's been my experience that DVD software that comes with a burner isn't the best, or isn't supported with updates very much, or will just burn cds. The manufacturers of OEM software want to sell you the full version of their product so most of the time they leave out, or disable, parts of their software in their OEM product that make burning DVD movies easy to do to encourage you to buy the retail product.

HoldenMcGroin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
From the first post, simply asking if DVD RW drives can rip DVDs onto the computer, the answer is......NO. DVDs thwart simple copy/paste actions used by your operating systems.

Can that be fixed? Yes. You need software. If k2000k wasn't talking about burning, then a program like anyDVD will enable you to copy the entire DVD contents, using only your OS functions, onto your harddrive for later viewing. You don't need a burner to rip to harddrive. Quite useful for 1 day rentals when you can't watch everything at once. However, AnyDVD is not freeware. You have to pay after 30 days or so. You might try something like DVDDecrypter for the same functions in a freeware application. I prefer AnyDVD since it works in the background.

PowerDVD can view the DVD files on the hard drive, without the need to "mount" an image, such as with daemon tools. I don't think daemon would work well with DVDShrink for this, since daemon mounts whole "images" and DVDShrink rips all the files individually. I don't remember if DVDShrink had an image function or not.

DVDShrink is useful if you want to make your own backup of your disc. However, if you have a DL DVD drive and AnyDVD, DVDShrink is not needed. Then burn to DVD with NERO (or Roxio). I think XP might also be able to burn to DVD, but I'm not 100% sure (it can do CDs).

Those are the programs that I use.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
You don't need a burner to rip to harddrive.

At first I didn't understand what you were saying then I interpreted it as though the OP might only have a DVD drive READER and not a burner. What you're saying is that AnyDVD will allow you to copy the contents of a DVD to your hard drive using only a plain old DVD reader. You can then view the files from the hard drive using a DVD player software like PowerDVD.

DVDShrink does have an image function that works extremely well and Daemon Tools has no problems mounting the image and allowing a DVD player to play it.

DVDShrink still comes in very handy because I do a lot of my backups on 4.7Gb disks without the menus and extras crap and the media is a lot cheaper right now. I reserve DLs for special backups or when DVDShrink tries compress too much, even with the menus and extras removed. When the cost of DLs comes down I probably will not rely on DVDShrink that much anymore.

BTW, props out on recommending the AnyDVD software. I'm still sampling the trial version but I think I'll be buying it.

HoldenMcGroin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Yeah, I'd recommend that. I think AnyDVD is worth it. What I really like is that it automatically deactivates things like SonyArcos, CSS, and removes annoying adverts, region codes, autorun programs, and trailers all without any user involvement. It updates frequently, and doesn't require you to pay more. Also allows you to use copy/paste functions in windows, you can just drag the video_ts folder to wherever you want it.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
You can just copy and paste the video_ts file into windows anyway, just as long as it is not encrypted (like home DVDs). However, it is in DVD format, so you can only watch it on thej DVD player on you rcomputer.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
I use a Lite-on combo drive for ripping, tried a few different programmes also. Found AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 to be the best. There is an option to delete the image after burning, just untick this to keep the DVD image file for later viewing. A few keys for Nero and you can watch it with Nero or Windows Media Player on your computer.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

HoldenMcGroin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
You can just copy and paste the video_ts file into windows anyway, just as long as it is not encrypted (like home DVDs). However, it is in DVD format, so you can only watch it on thej DVD player on you rcomputer.

Very nice. Now, other than all our lame home movies, just how many is that?

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
LAME?!?

LOL...about 15 :lol:

Haven't really been any good movies out lately. The last two years have sucked. No point in buying stupid DVD movies, when you can watch your own.

kylewvu086

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
DVD decrypter is a good utility, it cracks to DVD's encryption and will save it to your pc. Once you do that the .VOB files are yours. You can also use DVD shrink to re-encode the DVD and alter the contents. Using a conbination of both DVD decryptor and Shrink can be very hand, its a quick way to build up a dvd collection.