Question Can electrical surges get through even when the surge protector is switched off ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
If I set the surge protector's switch to off, Can surges still get through ?

My understanding is that there are three ways a surge could destroy your equipment, through positive, negative and earth lines, if I turn the surge protector off, surges can get through negative and earth ? Is my understanding correct ?

When I am not using my PC, Is it better to leave the surge protecter on, turn it off by setting the switch to off, or unplug the surge protector from the outlet ?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
If I set the surge protector's switch to off, Can surges still get through ?

My understanding is that there are three ways a surge could destroy your equipment, through positive, negative and earth lines, Is my understanding correct ?

When I am not using my PC, Is it better to leave the surge protecter on, turn it off by setting the switch to off, or unplug the surge protector from the outlet ?
The power cable to the wall is by no means the only pathway to destruction.

A couple years ago, nearby lightning strike.

All computer hardware behind quality UPS. CyberPower or Tripplite.

BAM, lightning. No warning, no "Lightning within 5 miles".

Basically rebooted the whole house

Dead components:
PC - ethernet port (other devices on that same switch, unaffected)
Printer - ethernet port (the PC and printer were separated by 2 switches and a router)
Denon AVR - 2x HDMI ports (other PC and TV connected to those ports, no issue)
Invisible Fence circuit box, PCB blown and cover blown off/melted (Circuit box was completely unplugged from the wall

Now, the weirdness:
A laser level, battery powered. Not connected to anything. On a tripod in the middle of the room. Apparently electrical surge through the air turned it ON.

Lightning strike that really damage equipment are very very rare. That's the only one I've had, ever.

And people who purport to "unplug the PC when there's a storm"....there was literally no warning.
It was just rain rain rain, then BAM.
If I disconnected everything every time it rained, I'd never be able to use the systems.

Also, do these people also unplug ALL the cables? HDMI/DP/ethernet?
Also, unplug all the other things in the house? Stove, microwave, TV, etc, etc?
No, they don't.

TRENDING THREADS