Question Can enabling xmp cause a downgrade in performance

Jan 28, 2021
So I tried to Oc my ram to 3200 mhz, which is my base speed, and it said that it couldn't run it and blue screened, so i reverted it back to normal and turned on xmp, and I was running at 30 fps in most games. Why would this happen if its supposed to help. If my cpu is running at very high temps could that be the cause of it running worse.
My specs are
EVGA 650W PSU
i7 8700 cpu
MSI titanium GTX 1070ti
H115i platinum AIO
corsair vengeance rgb pro 2x8 gb ram
MSI Z390-A PRO LGA1151 Motherboard

rgd1101

Don't
is the after you fix the temp issue?

Jan 28, 2021
is the after you fix the temp issue?
No I am working on that now, but im trying to see if i just need new ram, or if it is because of my cpu, or something completly different.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your issues are not related, but the results may appear so. Fix 1 issue at a time. Start with cooling because everything relies on a cpu running in safe temps, overheating cpu causes loss of fps as it downclocks to prevent damage. Priority #1. Tweaks to performance come later.

Jan 28, 2021
Your issues are not related, but the results may appear so. Fix 1 issue at a time. Start with cooling because everything relies on a cpu running in safe temps, overheating cpu causes loss of fps as it downclocks to prevent damage. Priority #1. Tweaks to performance come later.
Okay thanks