can enter BIOS but hard drives arent showing at all.

Jun 30, 2018
Hey, very recently had a problem where BIOS straight up doesn't see the drive in the slightest, at first it was able to see two other drives, one external HDD and another internal HDD, both for storage, it however does not see the SSD with the operating system on it.

I left it for the night thinking it could either be one fried drive or the SATA cable somehow. this morning however it seems it doesn't want to see any hard drive whatsoever.

neither the external nor the internal HDD are seen in BIOS anymore, having tried three different SATA cables with none of them working when around 9 hours earlier one of them did. so now I'm stuck in BIOS with no drive to boot too since no hard drives are being seen.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @4.20GHz
Motherboard: STRIX Z270E GAMING
PSU: Corsair HX750i
RAM: G-Skill 16GB RAM (2x8

Colif

Win 11 Master
what make are the ssd & hdd? is ssd an nvme/m.2 drive? I assume win 10 is only operating system thats been on ssd?

if the 2 hdd are just storage drivers, they won't appear in boot order anyway. Or do you mean under the advanced menu/HDD SMART info page?

check on boot tab and see if CSM set to auto (that is default),
is there a choice in boot order called Windows Boot Manager as that is what Win 10 drives boot off now.

Have you got a win 10 installer? if not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB). Its just a handy boot drive. Not useful if we can't find ssd.

Tried unplugging all external drives and resetting bios to defaults?

Jun 30, 2018
The SSD is a Toshiba OCZ TL100 240GB.

The HDD is a Western Digital 1.0TB WD10EADX.

The external HDD is a Toshiba external 1.0TB hard drive

CSM was on Enabled by default.

The other [strike]drivers[/strike] drives used to appear under boot priority and there is no windows boot manager to chose from.

And yes that was one of the first things I tried, needless to say all I have gotten working so far is for the bios to see the external hard drive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So no M.2 drives? Guess the next bit doesn't come into it then?

The M2_1 socket shares SATA_1 port when using M.2 SATA device
The M2_2 socket shares SATA 5 & 6 ports when using M.2 PCIE mode device in X4 mode

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/STRIX_Z270E_GAMING/E12192_STRIX_Z270E_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

In other words, M.2 use same sata channels as sata would, so if you had 1 you would need to not try to connect SATA drives to those ports.

But your ssd seems to be normal form factor. So it can't be that reason.

Only reason hdd should show in boot order is if they had windows on them. You shouldn't see them there otherwise.

Can you check ssd drive in another PC and make sure it still works?

I found one guy with same problem on the same board, no answers yet. I would ask on the ROG forums as it looks like a motherboard problem, especially if drives work on other PC - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102889-Z270e-motherboard-detects-optical-drive-but-not-storage-drives

Jun 30, 2018
I did do a check on another pc however it doesn't show up there either. On any of the sata cables I currently have.

However currently I'm planning to buy some sata cables locally to have a new cable to check with. Just to make sure it's not the drives.

Jun 30, 2018
So I decided to get a new SSD and just plug it right in just to see if it would be seen. And yes it was. The other internal drives however seem to still not show up on the other computer nor on my own.

Guess that was the issue all along!