Question Can everything run Crysis nowadays ?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm pretty sure anyone likely over the age of 30 or so has heard the joke going around since 2007 or 2008, "Can it run Crysis?" At the time, the game needed insane system requirements to run smoothly.

Just curious to know, out of the current AMD and Intel line up for CPUs, as well as AMD and Intel's current GPUs...can all CPUs/GPUs run Crysis? Just wanting some quick feedback from other members of this forum. Thanks.

DSzymborski

Titan
Pretty easily. Six years ago, a 1080 Ti could easily pass 60 FPS at 4K very high. Which means that a 3060 Ti ought to be able to do that as well as a 6700xt. At lower resolutions, even lighter GPUs can do it. We're talking about a 15-year-old game, after all.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Even the recommended for the remastered version isn't that hard to do now
Recommended:
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600k or higher / AMD Ryzen 5 or higher
  • Memory: 12 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI / AMD Radeon Vega 56
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 20 GB available space

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1715130/Crysis_Remastered/

the actual original Crysis is likely to have problems running on modern software but the remastered trilogy only needs a 1660ti to run.
I assume the new versions work with multiple cores. Original game was designed around assumption CPU speed would just keep going up. They were wrong and it took years before PC could run it at max.

I wouldn't say everything can run it as there are a lot of slow PC out there still, but new PC should easily.

Yup, as colif said, the game is extremely single core centric, basically only running one thread and the gpu thread.
Anything that is considered a desktop CPU should be able to run it at acceptable FPS, laptop or even lower CPUs might struggle though.
There is also no issue with the old version running on new-ish hardware.
j8ROdtc.jpg

The original CRYSIS can easily run on new hardware these days. No surprise this MEME is still being used till this day. LOL. Btw Mods, feel free to remove this meme if it breaks the forum guidelines/rules.

a26.jpg

On a serious note. Speaking of the latest game, when Crysis Remastered came out, many criticized Crytek for the game’s technical issues. At launch, the game had major stuttering issues, and was mostly single-threaded. Thankfully, though, Crytek decided to improve the game’s performance via some post-launch updates.

Crysis Remastered was having major performance issues in CPU-bound scenes. For instance, this scene was running with 48fps at 1080p/Very High on my friend's PC. System specs used: Intel i9 9900K with 16GB of DDR4 at 3800Mhz, a Samsung 970 Pro SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe, and Windows 10 64-bit on a GeForce RTX3080.

Crysis-Remastered-1080p-Very-High-settings.jpg

However, in November 2020, Crytek released a patch that offered a 43.75% performance boost in CPU-heavy areas. And with the game’s latest update, some even experienced a 81% performance increase over its launch version.

Here is the same CPU-heavy scene, using the exact same settings (1080p/Very High). Pay attention to the CPU utilization (the game uses heavily four CPU cores now).

CrysisRemastered_2022_02_08_21_37_08_741.jpg

Technically speaking you don't even need to a video card anymore to run Crysis (or actually any DirectX game) thanks to Direct3D WARP.

But more to the point of the question, if we assume that the minimum "playable" video card you need is something as powerful as a GeForce 8800 GTX or a Radeon HD 2900 Pro, then NVIDIA and AMD GPUs surpassed that around early 2010s at their lowest end offerings while Intel surpassed that since Skylake (Maybe Broadwell, but I'm too lazy to find benchmarks). Though this is based on their 3DMark 05 performance figures since it's the only thing I can find for all of these GPUs.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I still play Crysis 2 occasionally. I find it is still an enjoyable game, and especially since as I get older and slower these massive multi-player titles just don't do it for me. You have seen me on Fortnite, first player dead while trying to figure out how to pick up and use the weapons....I am that guy bouncing and coming at you with the mattock.

we have rules? :D

This one maybe ? :unsure: :devilish:

Speaking of Crysis Remastered, I just stumbled upon this "Quick SAVE" Mod for this game. Maybe I overlooked this mod before since I haven't played the game for almost a year. Now gotta install the game again and try this mod since I really love to save the game manually at regular intervals.

The original Crysis and other old-school FPS titles had the quick/manual save option. There is also DEVMODE mod for this game which also needs to be enabled. But I hope this quick save mod works without any crashes or bugs though. Has anyone tried this ? fingers crossed

A very basic mod that enables Quick saving in Crysis 1 remastered with no other modifications to things like graphics. It currently requires devmode and unfortunately this also enables all console commands and shortcuts for things like godmode and fly, along with icons that appear for saving and asset loading

A bad Quicksave mod at Crysis Remastered Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

How to enable the game's Developer Mode & enable Restricted Console Commands. Such as 3rd Person, God Mode, Infinite Ammo, Give the Player Items, etc...

How To Enable Developer Mode -Debug Console- at Crysis Remastered Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

But when it comes to any graphical mod/enhancement file, the BlackFire's Mod for Crysis Remastered is the most popular. I personally never liked BlackFire's Mod for the original vanilla Crysis, so let's check out how this one looks in the remastered copy.

It appears that this MOD also has a QuickSave feature as well:

BlackFire's Mod for Crysis Remaster file - Mod DB

jnxzi94

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
I'm using Intel i9 13900K + 4070 Ti so probably lol, I cannot run it because it's so freakin' OLD.
I'd like to see it benefit from this horsepower though and see that +2K fps.

I'm using Intel i9 13900K + 4070 Ti so probably lol, I cannot run it because it's so freakin' OLD.
Maybe try a GAME with a little more horsepower, like Red Dead Redemption 2. Just expect to have to rescue your horse every now and then if you want to avoid going all the way back to camp to respawn it. :ROFLMAO:

I tried the Lassie Come Home whistle thing, but it just wouldn't respond.

The problem with the original Crysis was it was designed with the expectation 10GHz processors would be the norm by 2010. So it's not really well designed with the hindsight in mind of how processors actually were designed.

The problem with the original Crysis was it was designed with the expectation 10GHz processors would be the norm by 2010. So it's not really well designed with the hindsight in mind of how processors actually were designed.
Much doubt!
In 2007 when this game came out almost all CPUs on the market where maximum dual core, few people had quadcores so what would have been the point of making a game for the small part of the market instead of for the big part of it?!
They made it single core so that everybody could run it, even people with CPUs that where a few years old.

Much doubt!
In 2007 when this game came out almost all CPUs on the market where maximum dual core, few people had quadcores so what would have been the point of making a game for the small part of the market instead of for the big part of it?!
They made it single core so that everybody could run it, even people with CPUs that where a few years old.
The 10GHz part is the most doubtful in that comment. When you consider what speed they were at in 2007, there was no reason to believe they would get that astronomically fast in just 3 years. Hell, it would still be an astronomical achievement even 3 years from NOW!

The 10GHz part is the most doubtful in that comment. When you consider what speed they were at in 2007, there was no reason to believe they would get that astronomically fast in just 3 years. Hell, it would still be an astronomical achievement even 3 years from NOW!
Except development of CryEngine 2 and the game likely started around late 2004 if not basically around the release of Far Cry in March 2004. Around that time Intel was teasing the successor to the Pentium 4 being clocked really fast and boasting they could get to 10 GHz by 2011.

Even though Intel announced plans to cancel that development in mid 2004, it wasn't really drilled into the mindset of developers yet that multi-core was going to be the future and even if it was, it'd be a while before enough people had multi-core chips to even consider developing around it. So most developers went for the assumption that single core processors or reliance on a single core (after all, if you had a dual-core processor, you could just hog one core and the other would be fine to take care of other tasks) would remain dominant.

It really wasn't until the 2010s did developers finally start embracing designing game engines with decent multi-core support.

EDIT: It's also possible that Crysis is either poorly optimized or using new algorithms that haven't been optimized around yet. Notably it was one of the first games to use SSAO.

Except development of CryEngine 2 and the game likely started around late 2004 if not basically around the release of Far Cry in March 2004. Around that time Intel was teasing the successor to the Pentium 4 being clocked really fast and boasting they could get to 10 GHz by 2011.
So what, Intel and Nvidia always do a lot of off the wall boasting just to pique the interest of idiot consumers. The more important fact is a whopping NINETEEN years after that start of CE 2 development, we are still nowhere NEAR 10GHz CPUs. I mean, you CAN see that, right? :rolleyes:

So what, Intel and Nvidia always do a lot of off the wall boasting just to pique the interest of idiot consumers. The more important fact is a whopping NINETEEN years after that start of CE 2 development, we are still nowhere NEAR 10GHz CPUs. I mean, you CAN see that, right? :rolleyes:
Hindsight is 20/20, so other than that, I don't get what your point is.

The game was designed around a strong single core performance with the expectation that we'd have something stupid fast later down the road to make it better. Whether or not they believed we'd have 10GHz by Intel's claims is irrelevant, it's just a way to frame the mindset of what people thought was going to happen at the time.

Hindsight is 20/20, so other than that, I don't get what your point is.
My point, as if it wasn't obvious, is you'd have to be a fool to think with all the years experience Intel had prior to 2004, they would seriously think they could make a CPU THAT much faster in only 3 years. There was nothing leading up to it or the tech at that time to make them think so. Hence it being a mere ploy to whet the tech appetite of idiot consumers.

It seems like you just don't get what tech companies stoop to, even though the writing is clearly on the wall.

My point, as if it wasn't obvious, is you'd have to be a fool to think with all the years experience Intel had prior to 2004, they would seriously think they could make a CPU THAT much faster in only 3 years. There was nothing leading up to it or the tech at that time to make them think so. Hence it being a mere ploy to whet the tech appetite of idiot consumers.

It seems like you just don't get what tech companies stoop to, even though the writing is clearly on the wall.
You seem to be strung up about the whole 10GHz thing but ignoring all the other points I was trying to make.

Okay. ¯\(ツ)

Apr 1, 2023
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 2060 graphics card, 16 gigabytes of RAM. Crisis One is running without any errors. Just finished replaying this game a week ago.

As soon as the game was released in 2007 I could not play it on my PC with 512 megabytes of RAM, built-in graphics card and AMD Ahtlon 64 3500+ processor. But I played it at my friend's place with lags on minimal settings.