Question Can faulty a CPU cause random shutdowns?

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
A repairman told me that my CPU is faulty and is the cause for random shutdowns on my HP 8440p. Before that he said that he said that a faulty HD(main, with the OS) was the cause, it had bad sectors. I told him to install Windows10 on the backup HD and continue troubleshooting but it still shutdown so an HD issue can be ruled out and the problem seems to lie somewhere else. The 8440p shuts down at anytime: as you are using it on Windows10, as Windows10 is loading, and even after just pressing the power button. When he was trouble shooting, he left on on the BIOS screen for an hour or two and it seemed stable. He added that since the i7 760m is faulty, it can cause the 8440p to shutdown anytime work or if even power is given to it. When it works and I am able to check the temps, CPU(mid 60s) and GPU(mid 70s) seem ok and that's just with Opera running Fb, YT, and a total of around 5 tabs. I've also disabled any turbo or throttling the last time it was stable, and after going to the kitchen for some water, it was dead when I returned. The rear was also raised to let more air beneath the device for cooling. The power supply does seem hot when in use but that's it. I have other power supplies that heat up too when in use so I think this is still acceptable. Before giving it to the repairman, these where what I had tried:
  1. remove the battery, return, still died.
  2. run the 8440p without the battery, still died.
  3. removed the CMOS, power button pressed for 10secs to drain any juice left in the motherboard, still died.
  4. removed and reseated the RAM chips, still died.
  5. metered the voltage on the power supply plug, 19v, no issue.
  6. removed the keyboard and touchpad, powered on, still died.
The 8440 is less than a month old with me, I wanted it as it was sold dirt cheap and its an Elitebook. Its a sturdy and well built machine despite the age and size. The seller said that it randomly shutdown and I gambled on the cause being a cooling issue so I changed the thermal paste and cleaned the fan upon receiving it. The old paste was still pasty and not yet hard like cement. The fan was hardly dusty. Nevertheless, I cleaned and replaced the paste. It died twice on power up but on the 3rd time it was stable and lasted for a day. I stored it for a few days then used it from morning to night one day and even had online classes using it. No issues. The next day the problems started and did not go away.

What other tests can I run to determine the cause of the shutdowns? I have a meter but I'm not skilled enough to go prodding on the board to look for a faulty component. I don't have the skills and tools either to remove and replace it. Can a faulty CPU really cause random shutdowns or is it something else on the motherboard?

Last edited:

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
took the keyboard off, put a 6inch fan over the CPU and GPU, turned it on. the temp change was barely noticeable but it still shut down. I didn't even get to the Win10 desktop.

D

Deleted member 14196

So it doesn’t appear to be a thermal issue it could possibly be the power supply. If you don’t have the skills you should take it to a shop that can repair it. If it’s still under warranty get in touch with HP and they will tell you where you can send it to get it repaired

D

Deleted member 14196

Run Hwinfo And look at the CPU temperatures while it’s running and report when it’s telling you there here in the threads so you can get some better advice

Reactions: pnvr8e

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
So it doesn’t appear to be a thermal issue it could possibly be the power supply. If you don’t have the skills you should take it to a shop that can repair it. If it’s still under warranty get in touch with HP and they will tell you where you can send it to get it repaired

Its a very old rig, no more warranty hence i sent to a nearby repairman for troubleshooting and repair.