[SOLVED] Can faulty drivers stop system from POSTing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 22, 2020
Hi,
I recently assembled a gaming PC and I used it for 2 days. On the third day, system just shutdown all of the sudden without any warning. I powered the system On again and it did turn on. After logging in to windows, the system just shut again.
This is what happens now.
  1. I press the power button
  2. Few codes starting from 00, 01,...runs on the motherboard with all the lights illuminating (mobo, RAM, fans). While in between, it just just shuts. When I power system again, it shows the code it had displayed before shutdown and wont POST. For example if the system shuts while the code A4 was shown, next time I turn the PC On, it shows the same Code and just stays that way, with some chasis fans not running. This code differs in each tries. It also shows 'VGA Bios' or 'reset CMOS' or 'HDD detect' on the motherboard (I dont remember the words correctly). No signal to monitor.
  3. I press the Retry button 3 or 4 times, and the motherboard starts from code 00 again as mentioned in step 1.
  4. If I am little lucky, the system boots, I log in to windows and Boom!! Shuts again.
  5. After few attempts, if I am extremely lucky, the system may even boot and I may even be able to game foe hours without a problem.
Can I confirm that this is a motherboard problem? Or can corrupted windows or drivers cause this problem?
My specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950x
Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Formula
Graphics: Asus RTX 2080 Ti OC 11 GB
RAM: Gskill Trident z neo 16X2 GB 3600MHz CL16
PSU: Corsair AX1000

Things I have tried:
  1. flashing BIOS from USB, multiple times
  2. Clearing CMOs
  3. enabling LN2 jumper on mobo
  4. updating all drivers using driver booster free version.
  5. checking all connections
  6. using one stick of RAM in all slots.

Last edited:
Solution
External fans do nothing. At all. Ever. Ceiling fan, desk fan, even a box fan pointed directly at the case, does absolutely ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, when talking about CPU and GPU core temps. It MIGHT have a minor effect on the motherboard VRMs or memory if the airflow is close and DIRECTLY flowing over them, otherwise, it wouldn't. So I wouldn't bother wasting my time with that.\

As far as the case fans go, I didn't want you to just disconnect them, I wanted you to disconnect them from whatever they were connected to that came with the case and connect them directly the the CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2 and CHA_FAN3 headers on the motherboard. Also, I wanted you to connect the rear exhaust fan to any of the other headers and then reconfigure it in the...
External fans do nothing. At all. Ever. Ceiling fan, desk fan, even a box fan pointed directly at the case, does absolutely ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, when talking about CPU and GPU core temps. It MIGHT have a minor effect on the motherboard VRMs or memory if the airflow is close and DIRECTLY flowing over them, otherwise, it wouldn't. So I wouldn't bother wasting my time with that.\

As far as the case fans go, I didn't want you to just disconnect them, I wanted you to disconnect them from whatever they were connected to that came with the case and connect them directly the the CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2 and CHA_FAN3 headers on the motherboard. Also, I wanted you to connect the rear exhaust fan to any of the other headers and then reconfigure it in the BIOS so that it is using the correct fan curve and is responding to the motherboard thermal diode.

But, that's all irrelevant, because even with no case fans going, if the side panel is off and the CPU cooler is running properly, it should remain cool enough that thermals are not a problem. My biggest concern was that the integrated controller for the case was causing a problem.

I'm not sure what to tell you at this point other than to RMA the motherboard.

Solution
Jul 22, 2020
Okay. I was in the process for the same. After a lot of mails and calls, I got the DOA approved. I will be getting a new mobo once I send them back this one. Hopefully my issue will be solved with this. I will update you on the same. Thank you @Darkbreeze for your help.