[SOLVED] Can Female to Female extend hdmi 2.1

LudinK

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014
Finding any hdmi 2.1 longer than 10feet is really expensive so i was wondering if i get a female to female adapter and connect two 10ft hdmi 2.1, will it lose the quality? does the female to female adapter need to have some specific technology to carry on the 4k 120hz?

Solution
depending on the quality of the extension cable, it can be done. it would also have to be HDMI 2.1 to carry the signal.

but paying more for a higher quality 2.1 extension cable plus 2x 10' cables may be kind of pointless when you could've just payed more for a longer HDMI 2.1 to begin with.

i currently have a 9' generic HDMI 2.1 extension running to a TV and it can only do 4K 75Hz with HDR enabled.
removing the extension and my 16' HDMI 2.1 runs HDR fine @ 4K 120Hz.
so there is a definite signal degradation once the extension cable comes into play.
depending on the quality of the extension cable, it can be done. it would also have to be HDMI 2.1 to carry the signal.

but paying more for a higher quality 2.1 extension cable plus 2x 10' cables may be kind of pointless when you could've just payed more for a longer HDMI 2.1 to begin with.

i currently have a 9' generic HDMI 2.1 extension running to a TV and it can only do 4K 75Hz with HDR enabled.
removing the extension and my 16' HDMI 2.1 runs HDR fine @ 4K 120Hz.
so there is a definite signal degradation once the extension cable comes into play.

Solution
Finding any hdmi 2.1 longer than 10feet is really expensive so i was wondering if i get a female to female adapter and connect two 10ft hdmi 2.1, will it lose the quality? does the female to female adapter need to have some specific technology to carry on the 4k 120hz?

There are tons of 20' HDMI cables for sale not much more than 10'. You will spend more on the two cables and adapter.