Can files be somehow restored after a factory restore?

Marshman220

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
Hello,

So I am ready to sell this PC I have sitting to the side. The PC has Windows 10 already installed and before putting out for people to buy it, I did a "factory restore" to get rid of everything important I had saved on it. I don't have any pictures or files I want restored but I had credentials saved and a couple accounts signed into some sites. I want to know did the factory restore get rid of it all so the buyer doesn't try to snoop around with it and restore it to it's earlier states BEFORE the factory restore if even possible. To be sure, I looked at the system restore tab and it did not detect any restore points made, but I want to be extra sure by asking this community. I'm wanting to know am I safe to sell it?

Thanks!

Marshman220

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Thanks for the reply but I don't think I can reinstall windows on it after the wipe. Oh well.

bignastyid

Titan

Why not? Win 10 install media is easily obtainable using the media creation tool. Download that and use it to create a bootable usb flash drive and use it to reinstall after the wipe.

Marshman220

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Oh okay, that's completely new to me. I thought I had to spend more money on it :p

Marshman220

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Okay so the PC was originally windows 7 but a free upgrade to Windows 10 came out back in august and I upgraded it because why not. Will the creation tool restore the windows 10 OS or do I need to provide an actual key? If I do I don't have one.

Actually the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 became available in July of 2015 and by August of 2016 the offer was no longer available. Because of that it would be wise to ensure that your version of Windows is fully activated before you proceed.

Marshman220

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Well.......... It's got upgraded. And make sure your version of windows is fully activated? I'm pretty sure it was because if your talking about the 1 month verification length (which I'm assuming is what you mean), yeah the PC had and kept it for a long time. But I didn't install window 7 on it back then. I bought the PC from a friend a while ago.

OK, but what I am talking about is ensuring that when you go into your settings is that you actually SEE that Windows 10 is activated with a digital entitlement. The exact wording that you will look for is that Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. If you see that then you are good to go and you can you then proceed to deactivate it before you sell it. You do not want to sell the computer before you remove that particular computer from your personal Microsoft account.

Marshman220

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

I must be out of luck then because it's been dban'd.

That was my original guess when you indicated that you upgraded in August when the upgrade period ended in July. At this point I would go ahead and clean out the computer and sell it and let the new owner buy a legal copy of Windows 10.

But to be honest you do need to disclose this before you sell it.

Marshman220

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

All that matters really is that I want to get rid of it. If it's dban'd then I have nothing to worry about right? That what all this thread is about, is making sure the buyer cannot restore information.

Also, I'd really hate to argue with you about the activation. To be extra clear on the 1 month thing is that It only asks for the 1 month activation only IF you get a fresh new windows key installed, which was not what the free upgrade was. Now on this PC I'm currently using right now, asked for the 1 month activation when I first installed Windows 10 on it. I don't think an upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 asks for it. So hard to say if it's legit or not...... who knows. That PC is bad trouble anyway.

Yes, sounds good. Make sure to format the hard drive on your old computer before you sell it to completely clean out any personal information and then you can get rid of it and all will be well.

As far as all the rest, I don't know anything about that. I have done fresh installs of Windows 10 on approx. 30 or 40 different PCs and I have never heard of it, but that is another thing altogether.

Marshman220

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

It has no CD drive. The mobo installed actually doesn't have a header to plug into. What about that?

Marshman220

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

I did a factory reset, then someone commented above saying that I should dban it next. So I did. Now the pc is ready to install a new OS because it just starts up to a black screen with white text that asks to install an OS, I think. Maybe not those exact words but I think I completely restarted the whole hdd.

Marshman220

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

Thanks for all the help. I'm starting the media creation tool thing, and I can take it from here. So, after WIndows re-installs on the selling PC, it's good to go to a new owner now right?