Can floppy cable be cut?

At least one of my PCs has an older floppy cable with connectors for the
"other" style of floppy (a real floppy?) drive - as it is quite bulky is it
possible to cut the *last* one (only) off without upsetting the signals?
TIA

Keith

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:45:29 +0300, John Smith wrote:

> At least one of my PCs has an older floppy cable with connectors for the
> "other" style of floppy (a real floppy?) drive - as it is quite bulky is it
> possible to cut the *last* one (only) off without upsetting the signals?
> TIA

If you've got something to cut the cable with it is. I'm assuming you're
talking about the 5.25" drive connector. You can also remove the other one
if you're careful, and just be left with 2 connectors for 3.5" drives.

overlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 06:54:33 GMT, Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:45:29 +0300, John Smith wrote:
>
>> At least one of my PCs has an older floppy cable with connectors for the
>> "other" style of floppy (a real floppy?) drive - as it is quite bulky is it
>> possible to cut the *last* one (only) off without upsetting the signals?
>> TIA
>
>If you've got something to cut the cable with it is. I'm assuming you're
>talking about the 5.25" drive connector. You can also remove the other one
>if you're careful, and just be left with 2 connectors for 3.5" drives.

I've cut cables with a single edge razor blade. You might test it out by cutting just
the edge connector off using the edge connector as a guide to the razor blade.
If that works out you might cut the extra ribbon cable off using the last pin-ed
(pinned just looks so strange) connector as a guide.
Double check that you haven't shorted 2 lines together.
Probably be easiest to lay the line across a piece of wood or something before
cutting
~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.

Conor wrote:
> In article <_32ic.191$Rt3.36@reader1.news.jippii.net>,
> someone@microsoft.com says...
>
>>At least one of my PCs has an older floppy cable with connectors for the
>>"other" style of floppy (a real floppy?) drive - as it is quite bulky is it
>>possible to cut the *last* one (only) off without upsetting the signals?
>>TIA
>

> Absolutely fine. I find a decent pair of scissors does the job nicely.
> Leave enough "spare" so you can pop some electrical insulation tape
> over the end "just in case".

Scissors work just fine, but, could you please unplug the cable from the
mainboard, first?

In article <_32ic.191$Rt3.36@reader1.news.jippii.net>, someone@microsoft.com
says...
> At least one of my PCs has an older floppy cable with connectors for the
> "other" style of floppy (a real floppy?) drive - as it is quite bulky is it
> possible to cut the *last* one (only) off without upsetting the signals?
> TIA

The "sharp blade flush with the connector" method works well. Just be sure that
you leave the twist in the cable between the motherboard and the floppy drive, or
your drive will become B: instead of A:. Although some BIOS have provision to swap
them, it will not always work.

Alternatively, there are many suppliers for round, single device floppy cables. I
have seen them for as little as $3, and they are very easy to route. They come as
short as 8".

"George Pontis" <gpontis@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In article <_32ic.191$Rt3.36@reader1.news.jippii.net>,
someone@microsoft.com
> says...
> > At least one of my PCs has an older floppy cable with connectors for the
> > "other" style of floppy (a real floppy?) drive - as it is quite bulky is
it
> > possible to cut the *last* one (only) off without upsetting the signals?
> > TIA
> >

> The "sharp blade flush with the connector" method works well. Just be sure
that
> you leave the twist in the cable between the motherboard and the floppy
drive, or
> your drive will become B: instead of A:. Although some BIOS have provision
to swap
> them, it will not always work.
>
> Alternatively, there are many suppliers for round, single device floppy
cables. I
> have seen them for as little as $3, and they are very easy to route. They
come as
> short as 8".

I've been "knifeing off" the old 5.25 /1.2 mb "A" connectors for years.